Toei Tokusatsu is a mega-franchise composed of Toei Company's tokusatsu TV series and films. Through numerous crossovers, the vast majority are linked as a Shared Universe, the Toei Universe.
List of series:
Kamen Rider and Super Sentai are Toei's two most popular and longest-running franchise. To this day, they air together on TV Asahi under the block Super Hero Time.
- Beast Man: Accounts for a great many villains and a bunch of heroes as well.
- Calling Your Attacks: A common tokusatsu trope.
- Crossover Punchline: Super Hero Time idents of recent years have Rider and Sentai casts meeting and interacting in their respective hang-outs and Hilarity Ensues.
- Fake Crossover
- Over the years, there have been many stage show crossovers with numerous tokusatsu heroes teaming-up to fight baddies. During the televised run of Metal Heroes, every year saw a stage show uniting the current Super Sentai and Metal Heroes.
- Mostly in the '70s and '80s, there were "crossovers" which consisted little more of a photoshot with heroes from two different shows posing for the Rule of Cool.
- Most Super Hero Time idents have the contemporary Riders and Sentai posing side-by-side, while recent years have the casts interacting in their resepective hide-outs, giving the impression that they are all good friends. Of course, this has no canonical bearing on their proper crossovers, if they have them.
- Galactic Superpower: The Space Squad Shared Universe home to Super Sentai and Metal Heroes has the Galactic Federationnote , which employs the Space Sheriffs. Both franchises have introduced empires with ambitions of universal domination, most notably the Space Empire Zangyack; opposed by the Galactic Federation Police, they were said to have conquered almost the entire universe before fracturing after a failed invasion of Earth which ended in the death of their Emperor.
- Uchu Sentai Kyuranger, which is set in a Parallel Universe to the prime Super Sentai reality, has the Space Federationnote , an alliance of the 88 constellations founded by human space explorer Tsurugi Ohtori, who became its first President. Then comes the Space Shogunate Jark Matter, led by Don Armage, which conquers pretty much the entire universe (including Earth). Ultimately, after some 300 years, Jark Matter falls once its leader is defeated by the Kyurangers. The Space Federation is restored, led once again by Tsurugi Ohtori, who had been in suspended animation.
- Henshin Hero: Popularized by Kamen Rider.
- Humongous Mecha: Most notably in Super Sentai.
- Long Runner: Toei has been in the business of tokusatsu since Gekko Kamen back in 1958.
- Monster of the Week: The standard in most Toei Tokusatsu shows.
- Villains Act, Heroes React: Generally, the villains send forth the MOTW with an Evil Plan Once an Episode, with our heroes then arriving on the scene to stop them.