The Jungle Book refers to a duology of books (short story collections) written by British author Rudyard Kipling, which has been adapted many times into various works of film and television. All versions are set in the rainforests of India, and usually revolve around the adventures of Mowgli, an orphan boy and feral child who was literally Raised by Wolves.
The Disney franchise inspired by the books has its own section below.
The Jungle Book and its adaptations include:
- The Jungle Book (1894) and The Second Jungle Book (1895), the original duology of books written by Rudyard Kipling.
- The Third Jungle Book (1992), an unofficial sequel written by Pamela Jekel.
- Elephant Boy (1937), a British live-action film based on The Jungle Book short story "Toomai of the Elephants".
- Jungle Book (1942), a British-American live-action film.
- Adventures of Mowgli (1967-1973), a Soviet-Russian animated adaptation, consisting of short films that were later compiled into a feature film.
- The Second Jungle Book: Mowgli & Baloo (1997), an American live-action film.
- Mowgli (2018), a British-American live-action film produced by Warner Bros. and released on Netflix.
- Mowgli's Brothers (1976), an American animated TV special directed by Chuck Jones.
- The Jungle Book (1989-1990), an Italian-Japanese anime series.
- Mowgli: The New Adventures of the Jungle Book (1998), an American live-action series.
- The Jungle Book (2010-present), an Indian-German-French 3D animated series.
Disney's Jungle Book
- The Jungle Book (1967), a Disney animated film, and the most famous adaptation of the books.
- The Jungle Book (1994), the first live-action remake of the 1967 film, though still borrows a lot more to Kipling's story.
- The Jungle Book: Mowgli's Story (1998), a direct-to-video prequel to the above film.
- The Jungle Book (2016), the second live-action remake of the 1967 film.
- An untitled, upcoming sequel to the above film is in production.
- TaleSpin (1990-1991), a spin-off TV series sharing a few of the same characters as Funny Animals, in a completely different plot and setting.
- Jungle Cubs (1996-1998), a prequel TV series that is directly based on the 1967 animated film.