Originally a manga started by Ken Akamatsu of Love Hina fame, Negima is an Urban Fantasy series revolving around ten-year old wizard Negi and his budding harem. Known for combining the Harem Genre with fighting Shōnen elements, many adaptations and spin-off material have been produced.
Works in this franchise:
- The original manga, Negima! Magister Negi Magi.
- Negima! (take note of the punctuation; it becomes important), was the first anime adaptation, which concluded in late 2005 after only 26 episodes. Understandably, the plot was tremendously telescoped — the anime's first 20 episodes or so paralleled volumes one through six of the manga, and then hurtled into a sudden and somewhat hasty Grand Finale arc, in the process skipping over a vast landscape of storyline and character development and abandoning several plot threads just set in motion. It would appear that the studio had planned for more than one season to tell the full manga story, and then were disabused of that notion with less than a third of season left to tie things up. The result is a conclusion that, while dramatic and fulfilling the promise of the show's premise, is abrupt and seems to come out of left field with no warning — especially the shocking event that sets the concluding action in motion. The Funimation adaptation took nearly all of the studio's most frequently-used voice actresses, some of them playing two or three of the girls at a time.
- Negima!?, an anime series released in the autumn of 2006, was a Continuity Reboot of the original storyline, with an earlier time slot (leaving the Fanservice packed off to the OVAs until later in the story), a more obvious shounen bent, and a distinct flavor of humor courtesy of Studio Shaft, the production company that made Pani Poni Dash!.
- Negima!? neo, a manga adaptation loosely based on this reboot that began running in late 2006, taking plot points from both the original manga and the Negima!? anime and running through both in very different ways than its predecessors.
- Negima!!, a Live-Action Adaptation released on October 2007. Like Negima!? before it, the plot is a Continuity Reboot of the basic storyline. And like most Live Action Adaptations of anime, it tries to pull off the same kind of manic visual humour (and Fanservice) that its animated counterparts have, which sometimes succeeds but often comes off as awkward.
- Mahou Sensei Negima!: White Wing/Ala Alba, a three-episode Truer to the Text OVA released in 2008 that covers the brief breather arc between the Mahora Festival and the trip to the Magic World (chapters 176-183, specifically). These were released alongside limited edition variants of manga volumes 23-25.
- Mahou Sensei Negima!: Another World, a 2009 four-episode (plus one extra) OVA produced by Studio Shaft that covers the beginning of the Magic World arc and was released in limited edition variants of manga volumes 27-28 and 30-32.
- Negiho (a.k.a. Negiho (Ito) Bun or Mahora Little Girls), another spin-off which reversed the age gap: Negi as a young man teaching a kindergarten class.
- Mahou Sensei Negima! Anime Final, an anime movie released on August 27th, 2011, continuing after the Another World OVAs, and having a different ending than the manga.
- UQ Holder!, the Sequel Series, set decades later.