Hua Mulan (花木蘭) is a legendary Chinese folk heroine, who may have been either real or fictional.
Mulan was first described in an ancient poem written between the 4th to 6th centuries AD. According to this tale, she was a female warrior who disguised herself as a male soldier in the Imperial Chinese army, secretly taking the place of her conscripted father. After bravely fighting against nomadic hordes along the frontier, she ultimately returned home as a war hero.
The ancient story of Mulan has received multiple modern media adaptations, as listed below.
- The Ballad of Mulan, the earliest known (if not the original) version of the story.
- The Secret of Mulan (1998), a UAV Entertainment mockbuster version of the Disney movie.
- Mulan: Rise of a Warrior (2009), a Chinese live-action film.
- Mulan (1998), a Disney animated film and the most famous adaptation from the Western world.
- Disney's Animated Storybook: Mulan (1998) / Disney's Story Studio: Mulan (1999), a Microsoft Windows and PlayStation interactive storybook video game that serves as an interactive abridged retelling of the animated film.
- Mulan II (2004), a direct-to-video sequel to the above movie.
- Reflection: A Twisted Tale (2018)
- Mulan (2020), a live-action remake of the animated film.