Mikagura School Suite is a series of Vocaloid songs by producer Last Note, with character designs by Akina. The story stars a high school freshman named Eruna Ichinomiya who is enticed by her cousin Shigure to enroll in his boarding school, Mikagura High School, with their cool uniforms and cute girls. However, upon officially entering the school, she instead finds the students of various clubs battling each other with different items! Upon learning that all students are to join a cultural club, Eruna now needs to join a club or start one herself. In the meantime, the story follows her first days at the school as she interacts with various members of the different clubs.
The first song, Houkago Stride (After-School Stride), serves as the opening of the series. You can watch the current five songs here.
Aside from the songs, there are also an ongoing light novel and manga adaptation of the series. Currently, there are six light novels and four manga volumes. An anime adaptation by Studio Dogakobo was also announced, and began airing on Spring 2015.
Mikagura School Suite contains examples of:
- Academy of Adventure: The Mikagura School seems to be less concerned with academics and basically revolves its entire school system around clubs, where students routinely battle each other for club prestige.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Eruna and her mother's hair was originally pink in the light novels and the manga. When the anime debuted, it became orange instead.
- Art Evolution: Just compare Akina's art in Houkago Stride to Garakuta Innocence.
- Ascended Extra: Based on the opening, ending, and promotional material, this may be the case for Otone, who doesn't appear until the third novel and wasn't even part of the original eight main characters.
- Asskicking Leads to Leadership: The school regularly holds tournaments for the clubs to participate in and battle with, and the clubs that come out on top are usually the strongest and receive the most benefits.
- Badass Adorable: Himi and Asuhi especially.
- Beautiful All Along: What happens if Tonkyun's mask is taken off.
- Bishōnen: Every single male character introduced in the series thus far is incredibly pretty. And this series definitely doesn't have a shortage of them.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: The eight main characters all have a color theme: Eruna's is pink, Shigure's is dark blue, Yuto's is brown, Asuhi's is teal, Himi's is gold, Sadamatsu's is light green, Kyoma's is orange, and Seisa's is red. A character introduced in the third novel, Otone, seems to have lavender as her color theme.
- Compressed Adaptation: The anime attempted to adapt at least six novels into a twelve-episode anime, thus cutting out several scenes, choosing to focus more on Eruna, Otone, and Seisa as the central trio with everyone else (sans Bimii) being Demoted to Extra.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Several. Eruna vs. Seisa, Eruna vs. Asuhi, Asuhi vs. Yuto, among others.
- Demoted to Extra: In the anime pretty much anyone that isn't Eruna, Otone, Seisa, or Bimii, though Himi and Sadamtsu were hit hardest by this.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: The OP and ED themes are sung by Eruna, Otone, and Seisa's voice actors.
- Everyone Has a Special Move: Each student has a special ability that they use in battle, and it's almost always related to what club they're in.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: The uniforms have two white stripes on one sleeve (the left side for the girls, the right for the boys).
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Usamaru and Tonkyun. Shigure and Kyoma used to be this as well.
- Hide Your Lesbians: While Eruna likes cute girls to the point of practically chasing them around campus, she never pursues an actual romantic relationship with any of them.
- Image Song: Every main character has or will have one. All the songs were released in an album, but currently, only six have PVs, focusing on Eruna, Yuto, Himi, Kyoma, Asuhi, and Seisa.
- Japanese School Club: Every student has to be in one or face expulsion.
- Non-Uniform Uniform: Except for a certain few, almost all of the students wear modified versions of the uniforms, with some even outright wearing different clothes.
- Old Shame: Shigure didn't get his hopeless crush on Eruna out of nowhere. Eruna used to really like Shigure when they were younger.
- School Clubs Are Serious Business: The school is basically structured around these.
- Ship Tease: In official art and merchandise, the eight main characters are often paired as follows: Eruna and Shigure, Sadamatsu and Himi, Yuto and Asuhi, and Seisa and Kyoma.
- In the novels, after Otone is introduced and Bimii appears in his human form, the two have also been frequently drawn together in illustrations and merchandise.
- In the anime, Eruna x Seisa and Otone x Eruna receive the most blatant Ship Tease to the point that Otone and Seisa's conflicting feelings for Eruna are what caused their confrontation in the latter half of episode 10.
- Spoiler Opening: Due to the OP and ED's focus on the three of them, the anime doesn't even bother to hide the fact that Seisa eventually joins Otone and Eruna's club.