The Grisaia series are a series of visual novels created and published in Japan by Front Wing, and later localized worldwide by Sekai Project. Starting back in Febuary 2011, the series now spans over three main visual novels and numerous side stories, spin-offs, and anime and manga adaptations. It's been considered as Front Wing's most successful visual novel series to date.
The story of the series centers around Yuuji Kazami, who enrolls into Mihama Academy in an attempt to live a normal life from his "job". While taking residence, he meets five girls, each with a reason for enrolling into the school, and later learns from their circumstances that his so-called "normal life" is anything but. Most of the series has Yuuji interact with the girls and developing a relationship with them, and all the while, also delving into a bit of his own shady past.
The series is composed of several installments:
The Main Trilogy
- Grisaia no Kajitsu (The Fruit of Grisaia): The first entry in the series, Kajitsu is mainly a romance eroge visual novel which focuses on Yuuji living a normal life and developing a relationship with the girls. Released in Japan on Febuary 25, 2011, and worldwide on May 29, 2015.
- Grisaia no Meikyuu (The Labyrinth of Grisaia): The second entry in the series, Meikyuu is a re-telling of the first visual novel's scenarios with the girls as well as adding a main story focused on Yuuji's past. Released in Japan on December 29, 2011, and worldwide on June 22, 2016.
- Grisaia no Rakuen (The Eden of Grisaia): The third entry in the series and the final entry of the main trilogy, Rakuen is a direct sequel to Meikyuu with a lot of action involved as well as some science fiction elements. Released in Japan on December 21, 2012, and worldwide on April 28, 2017.
Other Main Installments
- Grisaia: Phantom Trigger: The next installment in the main series and the sequel of Rakuen. Phantom Trigger is an all-ages kinetic visual novel which features a new cast of characters and a plot centered around training students for national security purposes. It was released on April 28, 2017. Instead of branching plot lines with one narrator, the story is divided by a succession of volumes with two main characters doing the narration.
- Idol Mahou Shoujo: Chiruchiru Michiru: A spin-off Magical Girl kinetic visual novel staring Michiru Matsushima as the main character. It parodies numerous aspects of the genre and is not directly tied to the continuity of the main series. The spin-off comes in two parts. The first part was released in Japan on August 28, 2014, and the second part on December 26, 2014. Both parts were released worldwide on August 29, 2015.
- Grisaia no Yuukan (The Leisure of Grisaia): A short side-story to Grisaia no Kajitsu, it was originally a bonus exclusive to the DVD release of Grisaia no Rakuen in Japan. It centers around the heroine Michiru Matsushima as she comes up with attempts to form club activities in Mihama Academy to make the school more interesting. Released worldwide on May 18, 2016.
- Grisaia no Zankou (The Afterglow of Grisaia): A short side-story to Grisaia no Meikyuu and another DVD bonus exclusive in Japan, it sheds more light onto Yuuji's past and his relationship with his master Asako. Released worldwide on July 20, 2016.
- Grisaia no Senritsu (The Melody of Grisaia): Another short side-story to Grisaia no Meikyuu and a bonus exclusive of Front Wing's other visual novel work Hatsuru Koto Naki Mirai Yori in Japan, it gives more insight onto Yuuji's job and profession. Released worldwide on December 15, 2016.
Needs Wiki Magic.