In what is perhaps Roald Dahl's most well-known work, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory tells the tale of a boy named Charlie Bucket who wins a chance to visit the world-famous chocolate factory of the reclusive Willy Wonka.
The popularity of the book has led to several popular adaptations and crossovers.
See Charlie and the Chocolate Parody for parodies based on the franchise (usually the 1971 adaptation).
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The original 1964 book.
- Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator: The 1972 sequel book. It has never been adapted into a film due to Dahl's wishes, though it was adapted into a play.
- Charlie in the White House: An unreleased third book. Dahl died partway through writing it. Only one chapter was ever finished.
- Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory: The first film from 1971. It's by far the most iconic adaptation of the book, to the point that it's more famous than the source material. Dahl hated it and the film bombed at the box office, however it later became a classic due to television airings and home releases.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The 2005 reboot. It's Truer to the Text than the 70s musical, however it also features Adaptation Expansion in terms of Wonka's character.
- Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory: A 2019 pinball machine by Jersey Jack Pinball based on the 1971 film.
- A UK radio adaptation in the early 1980s.
- The Golden Ticket: A 2010 opera based on the book.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A 2013 musical based on the book.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A platformer based on the 2005 film released on Nintendo Gamecube, Playstation 2, and Xbox.
- Poptropica has an island based on the novel, adapting the look of Quentin Blake's illustrations.
- Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory Slots: An Android and Apple slot machine game adapting the imagery of the 1971 film.
- Wonka's World of Candy: A Match-Three Game based on, and set before the events of, the 1971 film; released on Android and Apple devices in 2018.
- Tom and Jerry: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory: An animated film based on the 1971 adaptation, crossed over with Tom and Jerry.