Zoombies (2016) is an American science fiction zombie film directed by Glenn R. Miller, featuring all the character development, tight plotting, and quality special effects we've come to expect from The Asylum.
Dr. Ellen Rogers has just inherited the Eden Wildlife Zoo, a refuge for endangered animals, from her grandfather. As part of the preparations for its official opening, Ellen is hosting a small group of college-aged zoology students for their internship. However, juggling her responsibilities with the zoo, directing the interns, and caring for her daughter Thea is further complicated when some of the zoo's monkeys are brought to the veterinary clinic with an unknown disease, which soon spreads to the other monkeys there. The disease turns out to change animals into dangerous, flesh-craving zombies, and after the zombified monkeys take out the entire veterinary staff, they escape out into the zoo at large and start infecting everything else.
You can probably guess what happens next...
A sequel called Zoombies 2 was released in 2019.
- Artistic License Biology: Most of the stuff that happens surrounding the infected animals, honestly.
- Conspicuous CGI: All of the infected animals (and many of the non-infected animals) are very clearly CGI.
- Eye Scream: One of the vets gets her eyes clawed out by a zombie monkey.
- Gentle Giant: Kifo, a Cross River gorilla, is quite gentle at the beginning and Thea's favorite animal at the zoo. Of course, the zombie disease turns him into a Killer Gorilla.
- Horror Hunger: The infection causes all the animals in the zoo to become aggressive and crave flesh—including the herbivores.
- Killer Rabbit: A handful of small zombie monkeys take out the entire veterinary staff. The film also features zombie parrots and zombie koalas.
- Mockbuster: Of Jurassic World.
- No Biochemical Barriers: The disease isn't limited to a single species though humans are unaffected, and seems to infect every single animal at the zoo with little difficulty.
- Noisy Nature: The zombified animals tend to roar and snarl when they see the humans—including a zombie giraffe. note
- Patient Zero: It is unclear where the monkeys picked up the disease, but they are the first to turn zombie.
- Raising the Steaks: The zombie disease seems to affect only animals, which sucks when you're in a zoo.