Zed (Black) and Oh (Cera) are would-be hunters who dream of becoming something more. After the duo are banished from their tribe (thanks to Zed eating from a tree of Forbidden Fruit), they embark upon a series of adventures, and run into various characters from The Bible (influencing historical events as a result). The two are eventually captured and brought as slaves to the City of Sodom, where they discover the women they once pined for, Maya and Eema, have also been enslaved, along with the rest of their tribe. It's up to Zed and Oh to rescue their tribe and become the heroes they were meant to be.
The film features a large amount of Anachronism Stew and features a wide assortment of noted comedic actors in bit parts, including Harold Ramis in both his final acting part and final film directed before his death.
Not to be confused with Batman: Year One.
This movie provides examples of:
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:
- Big Brother Instinct: Eema and Zed were siblings. Later in the film, Zed saves Eema from a Roman commander.
- Brick Joke: Cain killing Abel. Even though no one save for Oh, Zed and Adam really cares, any mention of the mark on his forehead causes him to deny the murder.
- Cain and Abel: Cain is arrogant and psychopathic, as he is portrayed in most modern works. He even gets a lightning bolt to the head.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: After Zed teaches people to clap, it starts raining. From that point forward, the rain begins whenever people clap and stops when they stop clapping.
- Cut Himself Shaving:Oh: 'Y-You were holding a rock and he ran into it with his face repeatedly until he couldn't pull through!'
- The Chosen One: Zed, who plays it up to the end until he says he's not.
- Eat My Dust: What Cain says to his father as he's fleeing on a slow-moving camel.
- Forbidden Fruit: Zed eats golden apples that are forbidden, and a snake wraps around Oh. The fruit doesn't actually do anything, though.
- Grossout Show: This movie has lots of disgusting scenes.
- Poor Oh urinating on his own face while he's hanging upside down in prison.
- Happiness in Slavery:"I'm not a slave, I'm a volunteer."
- Has Two Thumbs and...: "Who has two thumbs and wants another hot oil rub?"
- Look Behind You!:
- Made a Slave: Most of the original village. Oh and Zed were able to run into the desert.
- Mistaken for Gay: Oh is usually worried that Eema thinks this about him, and the eunuch thinks he is too.
- Parental Incest: Zed mentions that he learned his lesson when things got awkward after he slept with his mother.
- Potty Failure: In the scene where Zed and Oh are chained up in the dungeon, Oh (chained upside down) yells that he has to pee, and then he pees all over his face.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial:Cain: I wish you were dead too! Even though Abel is not dead at all!
- Take Me Instead!: When Eema is going to be sacrificed.
- Throwing Down the Gauntlet:Oh: [gets whipped] Like to see how big you are without that whip!Slave Driver: [Drops whip, and raises arms in a Bring It gesture]Oh: [beat] Same basic size.