"Fear will consume you."
The fifth Wrong Turn film, released in 2012.
The cannibal brother trio has moved on from the abandoned sanotarium, and now live with their kin named Maynard, who is teaching them how to be proper cannibal hunters. After Maynard is captured by the law, the brothers stage a siege on a half-empty town.
This film has examples of:
- Bad Boss: Maynard mistreats the cannibal brothers constantly, insulting them, harshly berating them for their mistakes in killing, and at one point outright assaulting Saw Tooth with a wrench. Despite all of this, the brothers remain loyal to him and even go out of their way to save him when he's caught by the police.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Maynard and the hillbillies kill most of the characters and capture Lita, most likely to kill and torture her.
- Bad Samaritan: Maynard is introduced by having him hide a woman hunted by the cannibal brothers, only to kill her himself.
- Big Blackout: When the hillbillies invade the town, the first thing they do is take out the phone tower and sabotage the power plant.
- The Cameo: Finn Jones shows up briefly as a stoner.
- Continuity Nod: While berating the brothers, Maynard reminds them that they don't live in an abandoned hospital anymore.
- Decoy Protagonist: A favorite trope of the series. This time around it is Cruz and Billy. It doesn't help that they have sex in the beginning of the movie.
- Demoted to Dragon: The hillbilly brothers, who take orders from their kin Maynard, who's the Big Bad (albeit a Non-Action Big Bad).
- Death by Sex:
- Averted by the cop and random girl, who have sex in a car but survive.
- Subverted with Lita, who has a pulse when the movie ends... but probably won't live much longer.
- Played straight with Cruz, Gus, and Billy.
- Downer Ending: Everyone is killed by either Maynard or the Hillicker brothers, save for an eyeless Lita, who gets picked up in the middle of the road by the killers and is hauled off to who knows where and will undoubtedly be killed by the time they're through with her.
- Ear Ache: The cannibal trio incapacitate a deputy by shooting arrows into his legs, and torture him by cutting out his ears.
- Eye Scream: Maynard convinces Lita to let him out of his cell by promising that she'll be left alone. Once out, he immediately turns on his promise and stabs her eyes out.
- Failure Hero: Unless you count Maynard getting jailed, none of the protagonists come anywhere near hindering the hillbillies.
- Fanservice: The film features three sex scenes, one of which involves two random characters we never see again.
- Faux Affably Evil: Maynard can put up a polite act, but his Ax-Crazy nature regularly shines through.
- Final Girl: Lita. She had a pulse when the movie ended at least...
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: The film happens during a music festival which is held during Halloween.
- Literal-Minded: After killing Kaleen, Maynard asks the hillbillies to "give him a hand" with the body. Saw Tooth responds by picking up her severed hand. Maynard is not amused.Maynard: ...No, you fucking idiot.
- Off with His Head!: Billy gets buried to his neck and gets his head chopped off by a snow blower.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Doug Bradley's American accent as Maynard is somewhat believable, but several British pronunciations often slip through, especially when Maynard is angry and/or yelling.
- Never Bring a Gun to a Knife Fight: Despite having guns, the heroes become constant victims to the ones with the knives.
- Sadistic Choice: Maynard and the hillbillies leave the sheriff tied up in such a way that if she lowers her feet, she'll trigger a shotgun and blow her head off, then set the police station on fire, thus leaving her with the choice of burning or shooting herself. She ultimately goes with the gun.
- Same Character, But Different: Maynard is supposedly the Old Timer from the first two films, but when one compares his personality in this (like his Ax-Crazy nature, Hair-Trigger Temper, and mistreatment of the hillbilly brothers) to the Creepy Gas-Station Attendant in those, it's a little hard to believe.
- Serial Killer: It's not clear just how many people Maynard has killed, but he's been doing so for 30 years.
- Title Drop: One of the girls asks an officer for help, saying that she made a wrong turn. Then they have sex.
- Your Costume Needs Work: A bitchy reporter who runs into Three Finger in the opening segment assumes he's just an obnoxious teenager wearing a crappy costume for the upcoming Mountain Man Festival, and gives him the finger. Then he slices it off.