Witchboard is a 1986 Horror film written and directed by Kevin S. Tenney.
At a party hosted by Linda, everybody plays with a Ouija board brought by her friend Brandon. They actually manage to contact a spirit. She fails to follow the instruction to not use the Ouija board alone, and soon finds out that the spirit she was talking to was manipulating her the whole time, and wants to control her body to walk the Earth once more.
Got two sequels, The Devil's Doorway and The Possession, respectively released in 1993 and 1995.
This film contains examples of:
- An Axe to Grind: The spirit uses Jim's hammer, which has a hatchet end. It is later revealed that he was an axe murderer in life.
- Arch-Enemy: Malfeitor is this to Jim, since he spends the whole film tormenting him.
- Artistic License History: Brandon claims that Ouija boards have been around since 540 BCE. The first recorded use of anything like an Ouija board was in 1100 CE, and modern ones were invented in the 1880s.
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Carlos Malfeitor
- Big Bad: Carlos Malfeitor is the spirit terrorizing Linda.
- The End... Or Is It?: Jim seems to send Malfeitor back to the spirit world by shooting the Ouija board. Later, the landlady is cleaning their apartment, and finds the board. She throws it away, saying that it's unlikely that it still works. Then the planchette moves.
- Good All Along: David is shown to not really be the spirit terrorizing Linda.
- MacGuffin Title: The film is centered around the titular Ouija board.
- Manipulative Bastard: Evil spirits have a tendency to manipulate people who contact them alone by being extremely helpful at first, then intimidating them into giving up their bodies for possession.
- Meaningful Name: Main villain Carlos Malfeitor's last name is Portuguese for "evil one."
- Ouija Board: Spirits use them to contact the world of the living.
- One-Word Title
- The Reveal:
- David is not the spirit terrorizing Linda. It's a being named Malfeitor.
- Jim is actually the portal, and Malfeitor is just terrorizing Linda to mess with him.