Where the Toys Come From is a lesser-known movie that premiered on Disney Channel in 1983 before being released on video a year later.
Peepers and Zoom are two wind-up toys who ponder that age old question: "Where do we come from?"
Encouraged by their fellow toys and the little girl who owns them, the two of them embark on an adventure to find out the answer, ultimately traveling to Japan and literally meeting their maker.
This film provides examples of:
- The Cameo: Popeye makes a cameo in toy form, as well as the Zoids when they get to Japan. Tomy's tabletop TRON game makes a cameo as well.
- Deadpan Snarker: Zoom throughout their trip, though later thanks Peepers for dragging him along.
- Holy Pipe Organ: When Peepers realizes that Kenji is his designer, Kenji is briefly enveloped by a Holy Backlight as a church organ plays a rolling chord.
- Imagine Spot: Zoom imagines a Zoid wearing a lobster bib with Zoom's picture on it.
- It Runs on Nonsensoleum: By mentally retracing their steps, Peepers and Zoom are somehow able to rewind time.
- Living Toys: Falls under the Toy Masquerade type on the Sliding Scale of Living Toys.
- Old, Dark House: The toys first stop is a toy museum to go ask the older toys for advice. It's night out and the place is downright creepy, not helped by the music that plays either.
- Product Placement: For a lot of different toys, but Tomy toys mostly.
- Product-Promotion Parade: The film tends to delve into montage of toys doing toy things more than a few times. It's mostly to just show off toys with some music behind them. No names are dropped however so it's more of an artistic example.
- Straight Man and Wise Guy: Peepers is the sensible albeit slightly nervous one, while Zoom is the Deadpan Snarker who gets roped into the adventure.
- Thank the Maker: When Peepers confirms that Kenji designed them, Zoom looks up at the human as a Holy Backlight envelops him and a Holy Pipe Organ plays behind him.
- Wingding Eyes: Peepers and Zoom, but it's funnier when it happens to the one-eyed Zoom.