War is an Indian Hindi-language action thriller from 2019. The film was directed by Siddharth Anand and produced by Aditya Chopra from Yash Raj Films. It stars Hrithik Roshan and Tiger Shroff. The score was composed by VishalShekhar, with lyrics written by Kumaar.
War depicts a story of an Indian soldier who is sent to eliminate his former mentor who has gone rogue.
The filming began in 2018 and concluded in March 2019. The movie was originally called Fighters, but the film's title was changed after the release of the teaser trailer to War.
War was theatrically released in India in 4DX in October 2019. It broke the record for the highest-opening day collection for a Bollywood film in India.
War provides examples of the following tropes:
- Big Bad Duumvirate: The villains of the movie are Rizwan Ilyasi, a Businessman who wants to create another war between Pakistan and India and Saurabh, a former RAW agent who is an associate of Ilyasi and Khalid's killer.
- Bittersweet Ending: Kabir foils Illyasi's plan to destroy India's satellite defense system, and avenges the deaths of Naina and his team by killing Ilyasi and Saurabh. But the real Khalid is dead, though he is honoured post-humously and hailed as a hero. Also, Kabir is officially still a fugitive by the end of the film, though this is by choice - he plans to raise Naina's daughter Ruhi while using his rogue agent status to carry out missions he can't within the system.
- Dead Person Impersonation: After Saurabh kills Khalid, he performs plastic surgery to look like Khalid and hid his scars from the surgery through a mask.
- Deep Cover Agent: It is revealed that Kabir is still serving RAW with a mission to recover a lost document and managed to kill 3 of Ilyasi's associates before meeting Khalid. or shall we say, Saurabh disguised as Khalid.
- Kill and Replace:
- When the real Khalid chases Saurabh, it ended up with the real Khalid being killed by Saurabh and takes his face and identity through plastic surgery, hiding the small scars from the surgery through a mask.
- It was revealed that Ilyasi kills his fourth associate and disguised as him.
- The Reveal:
- The Khalid we see in the film is not the real deal. It was Saurabh who is an associate of Ilyasi's and a former RAW Agent who got rogue.
- Illyasi kills one of his associates and steals his identity.
- Trailers Always Lie: The trailer shows Hiritk Roshan playing the Big Bad and Tiger Schroff playing The Hero. in the film, it's the polar opposite.