After George (Paul Rudd) is downsized from his financial firm and Linda's (Jennifer Aniston) depressing documentary is cancelled, they can no longer afford their overpriced 'micro-loft' in New York. They find themselves with just one option - to pack up their lives and head south to move in with George's brother and his wife. George and Linda stumble upon Elysium, an idyllic community where the only rule is to be yourself.
Wanderlust is a 2012 American comedy film directed by David Wain and written by Wain and Ken Marino, who also produced with Judd Apatow and Paul Rudd. The film stars Jennifer Aniston and Rudd as a married couple who try to escape modern society by finding themselves on a commune in Georgia, after the economy crashes down on their dreams in New York City.
Tropes used in Wanderlust:
- Cloudcuckoolander: Elysium is full of them!
- Commune: The residents of Elysium prefer the term "intentional community".
- Distracted by the Sexy: Linda promptly removes her shirt and flashes her breasts at some people attempting to bulldoze the hippie commune property.
- Everybody Must Get Stoned: Linda starts tripping on Ayahuasca in the woods with the guru group.
- Mushroom Samba: Linda trips on Ayahuasca for the first time and almost takes a fatal dive from a tree thinking she could fly.
- Immodest Orgasm: One of the commune members appears to be having this next to George. Turns out, she was also going into labor.
- Naked People Are Funny: George and Linda get freaked out by one of the commune members walking around in the nude.
- No Pregger Sex: One of the commune members who is heavily pregnant is eager to have a go with George.
- Polyamory: Everyone is open to multiple partners and sleeping with one another. Except George.