After a burglar vandalizes their home, suburban couple Michael and Karen Carr are befriended and looked after by local police officer Pete Davis after he installs a new security system. But in the course of time, Pete's ever-increasing attention to Michael and Karen comes to be more and more suspect.
- Bittersweet Ending: Michael and Karen are traumatized by the events of the movie and now have to try to explain what transpired to the police, but Pete is dead and will never bother them again.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Pete deliberately involves this in Michael by framing him for selling cocaine.
- Cop Killer: Pete kills his partner Roy after Roy threatens to report him for stalking Karen and threatening to kill Michael. Then he blames it on a drug dealer they were chasing.
- Dirty Cop: Pete is this level.
- Theres No Kill Like Over Kill: Michael unloads the entire clip of his gun into Pete to make sure he stays dead.
- Would Hit a Girl: Pete smacks Karen after she tries to shoot him.