Undercover Kitty (Minoes in The Netherlands), also known as Miss Minoes, is a 2001 Dutch comedy film directed by Vincent Bal, based on the children's novel Minoes by Annie M.G. Schmidt. It stars Carice Van Houten, Theo Maassen, Sarah Bannier, Hans Kesting, Olga Zuiderhoek, Jack Wouterse and Pierre Bokma.
One night, Minoes, a female cat, stumbles upon a can of chemicals that was dropped by a truck, and drinks it. Somehow, the chemicals turn her into a human (Van Houten). She soon meets a journalist named Tibbe (Maassen), who works for the newspaper of the town of Killendoorn and badly needs scoops. Minoes helps him find scoop material since her cat friends can go anywhere and report to her. They soon start to suspect Mr. Ellemeet (Pierre Bokma), the city's rich chemical factory owner, to indulge in illegal activities.
Undercover Kitty provides examples of:
- Applied Phlebotinum: The chemicals. They can turn a cat into a human, somehow.
- Cat Girl: Minoes is a cat who gets turned into a human... and still behaves mostly like a cat. She still maintains a feline behaviour such as her fear of dogs, climbing in trees, meowing on the roof with other cats, catching mice, purring and eating raw fish.Minoes: I can't help it, whenever I see a dog I must climb in a tree.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Mr. Ellemeet secretly gets rid of his factory's chemical waste by burying them in the forest.
- Detective Animal: Unusually so in that Minoes is an animal in a human body.
- Fictional Province: Killendoorn is a fictional Dutch city.
- Knowledge Broker: Minoes informs Tibbe on scoop-worthy stuff happening in the city, thanks to the cats who wander in the city and report to her.
- Nice Girl: Minoes, through and through. She tries to help her human friends the best she can.
- Redhead In Green: Minoes has been turned into a red-headed woman, and she dresses mostly in green.
- Spiritual Successor: The film is very much in the same vein as some 1960s Walt Disney Pictures family-oriented films such as Mary Poppins and That Darn Cat!, what with a fantastical lady who talks to animals and makes the life of a few people much happier (complete with a dance number) in regards to the former and using cats as spies for the latter.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Behind his respectable company owner image, Mr. Ellemeet indulges in animal abuse and illegal toxic waste pollution.