Unconscious (Inconscientes in Spanish) is a 2004 Spanish comedy, set just before the First World War.
Alma's husband, León, who is a wealthy psychiatrist, mysteriously disappears while she is pregnant. She enlists the help of her brother-in-law Salvador to find him.
Tropes featured include:
- BrotherSister Incest: It turns out by the end of the film that Alma and León are half-siblings, which is why he runs away at the beginning. He was adopted, and they married unknowingly.
- Death of the Hypotenuse: León's climactic death by chandelier removes the final obstacle to Alma and Salvador getting together.
- Dragged into Drag: Salvador and Alma find themselves at a ball where crossdressing is de rigeur. Salvador is a lot less enthusiastic about the idea than Alma is.
- Falling Chandelier of Doom: At the climax, León and Dr. Pardo get killed by one.
- Gag Penis: Salvador is said to be rather well-endowed, leading to his sexual incompatibility with Olivia.Frances: "Haven't you already done enough damage with that huge penis of yours?"
- Historical-Domain Character: Drs. Alzheimer and Freud both make brief appearances.
- Hypno Fool: Salvador tries to hypnotize Alma (so she can remember who it was that left their apartment just before León disappears), but accidentally ends up hypnotizing himself instead, with catastrophic (and hilarious) results.
- Karmic Death: León's death by chandelier, caused by a ricocheting bullet from his own gun while he was trying to assassinate Sigmund Freud.
- Love Dodecahedron: Salvador loves Alma and is married to Olivia, who eventually runs off to Paris with Frances. Alma finds both León and Salvador attractive. León has affairs with several of his patients, but claims that Salvador is the love of his life.
- Sdrawkcab Name: Noel, the last patient in León's thesis, is actually a pseudonym for León himself.