28 Minute Epic is the 2015 live-action superhero comedy from Gorilla Ocho films, directed by Giancarlo Fernandez and written by the Fernandez and Rocco Petrullo.
The film chronicles the aimless adventures of lifelong best friends Jim Wilson (Petrullo) and Dave Fisher (Patrick Lithgow). After being (somewhat) unjustly fired from their pornshop jobs, the hapless duo decide to become superheroes for hire in the North Jersey area after accidentally stopping a mugging. With help from a professional crimefighter, the Dark Rider (Steve Boghossian), they discover that being a hero isnt always super ..But it is fucking epic.
The independent project was shot on a budget of $4,100, raised entirely by crowd-funding and, despite its title, is a full feature length picture. It was an official selection at the 2015 Rahway Film Festival, as well as the recipient of its Audience Choice for Favorite Feature Film that year.
Shortly after its release, the making-of Featurette No, Its Not 28 Minutes Long was created by Rocco Petrullo. Both features, along with the films original soundtrack, can be found on 28MinuteEpic.com
The film contains examples of :
- Accidental Hero: Jim and Dave get their idea to become superheroes after accidentally stopping a mugging.
- Adorkable: Dave, when he's around Vanessa.
- Ambiguously Bi: Vanessa mentions making out with several women while engaged in cosplay, but doesn't mention whose pleasure it was for. Although there must be SOME reason why Jim assumes she's a lesbian.
- Badasses Wear Bandanas: But not masks, apparently.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: Jim and Dave, respectively.
- Bland-Name Product: The product WEBFLIX sure sounds familiar.
- Brains and Brawn: Dave and Jim, in accordance to their Big Guy, Little Guy dynamic.
- Cheap Costume: Basically the wardrobe of the entire Jersey superhero population.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Jim lets one out while recounting their adventures for the local news channel. Not much gets through after censorship, though.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Jim is so fond if this trope that it's what gets them fired.
- Fan Disservice: Lady Wow in a bra and panties.....yikes......
- Foot Focus: Lady Wow practically stomps the Masked Avenger's face right in front of the camera.
- He's Got a Weapon!: "Holy shit, he's packing heat!"
- Hero Does Public Service: This is pretty much all they can do, what with their lack of actual POWERS.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Jim and Dave
- The Immodest Orgasm: "SAVE ME!"
- Joisey: Takes place in Edison, NJ
- Lesbian Jock: Not all female football players are lesbians... but the ones that play football are.
- The Masquerade Will Kill Your Dating Life: In Captain Wow's case, it only kills his daughter's.
- Megane: Dave
- Mood Whiplash: The film goes from a screwball action comedy, to a high-pressure thriller in the third act... back to a screwball comedy at the last minute.
- Ms. Fanservice: Vanessa, when in Dave's de-robing imagination.
- Never Trust a Title: Despite what the name might imply, it's actually two hours long.
- No Bisexuals: The Dark Rider is convinced of this, at least when it comes to the question of his own sexuality.
- Overprotective Dad: Captain Wow
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Jim. You can't even list every example.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Jim being the red, Dave the blue.
- Running Gag: The Masked Avenger, for some reason, does not wear a mask.
- Sequel Hook: The Dark Rider's revival.
- Title Drop: Shown onscreen after Jim illustrates the plan.
- The Villain Knows Where You Live: The Dark Rider somehow has the address of everyone in the shelter.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Dave and Jim
- Wink "Ding!": Jim gets a couple of these while in character.
- World of Ham: Well, it IS a superhero movie.