12/12/12 is a 2012 horror film from The Asylum. Veronica and Carlos have a baby boy named Sebastian. Sebastian doesn't look very human, and people start dying at an alarming rate around him.
Despite the naming, this film is not a sequel to previous asylum film, 11/11/11, or a prequel to 13/13/13 although they all share a theme of killer children.
This film exhibits the following tropes:
- Against My Religion: Veronica and Carlos try to refuse a Caesarean as it's "against their religion".
- Bedmate Reveal: Inverted. At one point, Veronica wakes up to her husband performing oral sex on her. Then she looks to the side and sees him lying next to her, asleep.
- Department of Child Disservices: Seemingly the case when they take Sebastian away from Veronica after Carlos dies. They bring him right back and we quickly learn that Veronica's sister, Gabriella, lost her child to Social Services before the events of the film.
- "Double, Double" Title: 12/12/12.
- Downer Ending: The film ends with Sebastian having killed just about everyone in the film.
- Enfant Terrible: From the beginning, it's obvious that Sebastian is evil.
- Hijacked by Jesus: Theoretically its about the Mayan Doomsday (despite getting the date wrong), but the film's imagery and themes are more in line with a different religious apocalypse.
- Hollywood Satanism: Mahari's cult hits every point from the ominous robes to the naked female sacrifices to the scrawled Baphomet symbols on the walls of their hideout. However, they are instead indicated as a Mayan doomsday cult.
- Man Bites Man: Sebastian seems to have the ability to instantly be on someone's neck and ripping their throat out.
- Psychic-Assisted Suicide: This is the primary method by which Sebastian kills.
- Screaming Birth: Veronica has a very difficult labor due to the fact that she hasnt dialated at all in several hours and despite the epidural she still seems to be in an enormous amount of pain. Even pushing with all her strength creates no progress and shes screaming and even gagging from the force of the contractions which convinces her obgyn to perform a c section.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Sebastian performs oral sex on his mother within a week of his birth and spies on a bathing Gabriella later in the film.