In 2022, the Earth is being invaded by a hostile race of aliens when a wormhole accidentally sends an astronaut back in time, where he tries to prevent the invasion as he's being chased by The Men in Black.
This film provides examples of:
- Bad Future: In 2022, the Earth is invaded by a race of aliens who have already infiltrated most layers of society by posing as humans. A wormhole allows the hero to go back in time to Set Right What Once Went Wrong.
- Meanwhile, in the Future : The movie repeatedly cuts back and forth between the Bad Future where the aliens have invaded Earth and the past where a time traveller is trying to prevent all this.
- President Evil: The World President turns out to be one of the aliens who have been plotting the conquest of Earth for decades.
- Ret-Gone: The bad guys at one point try to kill the time travelling hero's pregnant mother before she could give birth to him. They manage to kill his mother, but he saves his newborn self. However, his future version ceases to exist after he kills the bad guy since there would have been no reason for him to go back in time in the first place.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong:
- The whole movie is based on this premise. 20 Minutes into the Future the Earth is invaded (and ultimately overrun) by aliens when an astronaut is hurled three decades back in time by a wormhole. He also experiences several precognitions of things that are soon to happen such as a waitress getting shot when the bad guys chase him through a diner, which he tries to prevent as well.
- The aliens infiltrate human society for several decades before launching an all-out invasion. Their number even includes the World President.
- They Look Like Us Now: The aliens infiltrate human society for several decades before launching an all-out invasion. Their number even includes the World President.