The Wild Life is a 2019 short film for Lifeway's 2019 VBS "In the Wild". After the death of her grandma, a girl named Kate joined in the Ultimate Kid Photography Challenge with the other photography kids and teenagers to try to win the money so that she can buy fresh water and build a wells for kids in Mozambique including a boy named Philippe.
But she unfortunately isn't a really great photographer, Kate keeps getting so caught up trying to beat the fashion designer selfie queen Chelsea causing her to win. Then Kate remembers what her grandma used to say to her in the Bible like: "Katie Girl, when you worry you doubt yourself, doubt who Jesus is."
View the 5 part stores here:
Tropes for The Wild Life include:
- Am I Right?: Chelsea said this trope in the fourth part after she said that people could use the money back home or for a new outfit.Chelsea: "Am I right, ladies?"
- An Aesop: For each story part.
- Session 2: When you're tempted to quit, keep going. If you quit, you might miss something amazing like beating the best photographer in the game.
- Session 3: The Lord is with you through the worst of it.
- Session 4: Sometimes life takes a bad turn. The absolute worst will happen. Try not to let it steal your joy, because our hope isn't in contests or money or, or even our best friends. Our hope is in the one who is dead and lives again. Our hope is in the resurrection of Jesus.
- Session 5: Living the Wild Life isn't easy. But it sure is worth it. Follow Jesus and never let go!
- Animal Lover: Gus is the one who likes making friends with animals and naming them (eg. Kevin the Giraffe, Froggy the Frog). He even has a stuffed zebra named Rutzee.
- Can't Catch Up: When Joe gives all the photography kids and teenagers a challenge in the second part to go find their cameras and take a picture of a purple-striped elephant, Kate gets left behind where she ends up in the dark woods.
- Confetti Drop: Done in the fifth part when Chelsea won the Ultimate Kid Photographer Challenge.
- Cool Bike: Boone likes to ride bikes, especially during the photography challenge.
- Cool Old Lady: Kate's sweet grandma Gigi.
- Covered in Mud: During the fourth part, both Chelsea and Gus got covered with mud as they ended up in a deep deep puddle or pond of mud while trying to take a photo of the peregrine falcon. Gus was so tired from catching up with Chelsea like crazy.Joe: "Gus, did you get the photo?"Gus: "No. Followed Chelsea. Thorns...mud...sleep now. Tell Roxy that I survived."
- Demoted to Extra: It depends to be Chelsea, Gus, Rosalyn, Boone and Anatoly that may be in this direction as the film's focus is mostly on Kate. Anatoly was no where seen in the third part as he got out of the game and into the observation deck at the end of the second part. Chelsea was given some extra focus in the fifth part as she and Kate challenge together to try to win on the final day.
- Disappeared Dad: Kate never mentions about her dad or her mom.
- Flashback: During flashback scenes with her grandma Gigi, we get to see Kate as a little girl in the first two parts. In the third part, the throwback took place two years before Kate joins the Ultimate Kid Photographer Challenge. Also, in the fourth part, the throwback took page one year before.
- Fourth Wall: Kate takes a picture of the audience in the first three parts of the film. She even tells them to say "Kate's gonna lose" in the second part.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: During her flashback scene with her grandma Gigi during the third part, Kate was seen wearing glasses. Somehow, it is unknown if they're contacts or if Kate got eye surgery a couple of years before joining in the Ultimate Kid Photographer Challenge.
- Jaw Drop: At the end of the fifth part, as Joe talks about partnering Chelsea's money with Kate's missionaries to build a lot of wells, Kate's jaw drops of excitement.
- Least Rhymable Word: In the second part, Gus rhymes Anatoly's name with "Venom Moly".
- Missing Mom: Kate never mentions about her mom or her dad.
- My God, What Have I Done?: During the third part when the photography kids and teenagers all have to use a special Poland camera to take one photo only, Kate accidentally takes a picture of her own foot which was shown during the photo show off. In the fourth part while in the observation deck, Kate was really disappointed thinking that she'll never get back in the game. She didn't even noticed Rosalyn and Anatoly were back in the game until Joe brought her back in.
- Rapid-Fire "No!": Done by Kate when she found out that she accidentally got a picture of her foot with a special Poland camera.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: Boone can really imitate a tire screeching.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Gus did this during the second part after no search of a purple-striped elephant.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Gus and Boone. Gus is a nice and gentle photography guy who likes to make friends with animals and name them. Boone is a nice rough and tough cowboy who likes making wild noises with bike rides and likes to wave his cowboy hat.
- Shoe Slap: During the second part, Anatoly was seen throwing his shoe on the ground after no search of a purple-striped elephant.
- Time Out: The observation deck is the place where photography kids and teenagers go to when they do something wrong in the photography challenge (eg. Kate takes a picture of her foot by mistake during the third part, and Anatoly takes a picture of his sock on the ground during the second story.).Kate: "The observation deck is where hope goes to die."
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Kate and Chelsea both have their own different photography actions.
- Two Girls to a Team: Kate and Chelsea in the fifth part where they both had their photography challenge together.