Hot on the heels of George Lucas completely upending blockbuster cinema, Toho leaps into Space Opera using the considerable box of tools available to them. Galactic empires, laser pistol battles, and zooming starfighters galore!
Essentially the last tokusatsu film Released by Toho until The Return of Godzilla, and thus the last of the informal "Showa" era.
This film contains examples of the following:
- Alien Invasion: That's what we're all here for, yes?
- Cool Airship: The Gohten
- Death Ray: Abounding, on both sides.
- Elaborate Underground Base: The Gohten's dock is hidden beneath an island.
- Go-Go Enslavement: For all its obvious Follow the Leader qualities to Star Wars, it was ahead of the curve on putting the captured female lead in revealing attire.
- Latex Perfection: A mild example, as the only point of the Yomi masks seems to be to conceal their blue skin.
- Space Is Noisy: Par for the course.
- Space Romans: The Yomi follow this aesthetic, for whatever reason.
- 20 Minutes into the Future: Released 1977, set in 1988.
- Venus-Shattering Kaboom: Literally how the movie ends.