is an English-language French thriller film directed by Christian Volckman and starring Olga Kurylenko, Kevin Janssens, John Flanders, Joshua Wilson, and Carole Weyers. The film premiered on April 15, 2019 at the Brussels International Fantastic Film Festival. The plot centers on a young couple who discover a strange room that gives any of their material desires. Things go too far when they eventually use it create a child and discover the Room has a terrible cost.
Not to be confused with Tommy Wiseau's The Room.
The Room Contains Examples of:
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Subverted in a rare case. The Room is not particularly malicious, nor do the things it manifest have any odd or insidious qualities about them. Outside of the fact that things created by the Room will rapidly age and turn to dust when taken outside there doesn't seem to be any real backlash to using the Room or anything it creates.
- Foreshadowing: Shane has a habit of chewing his ice loudly. Later, this is how Kate is able to figure out he has taken Matt's form.
- John Doe apparently murdered the previous couple living in the house. Yet he has no name or identity. This is because he too is a figment created by the Room, just like Shane and the death of his "parents" ensured his life.
- Improbable Infant Survival: Played Straight in that everything taken outside of the house turns to dust. the baby Shane however turns into an older child.
- Jackass Genie: Subverted. The Room is 100% genuine in giving anyone who asks it their desire, exactly as they intend to have it.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: The Room has a complex system of wiring and runs on electricity that often causes brief blackouts when operating, but has the power to not only conjure any object upon request but can also create life and entire landscapes. Blueprints to the Room are briefly seen but are unreadable.
- Parental Incest: Zigzagged. It's unclear whether Shane shares a biological connection to his parents, but he forces himself upon his mother and at the end, she finds out she is pregnant, though unsure if the baby belongs to Shane or Matt.
- Riddle for the Ages: The room's origins are never fully explained.
- Spot the Imposter: Shane takes the form of Matt causing Kate to become confused as to who her real husband is. She figures it out quickly though.