Jamie Benjamin is a 12-year-old outcast. One day, while playing in the woods, he discovers a pit filled with monsters. He befriends the monsters, whom he calls "tro-lo-logs," and decides to feed them his tormentors.
This film contains examples of:
- Ambiguous Disorder: Jamie has severe trouble communicating with others, and no concept of sexual appropriateness. Also, it's unclear if he's Hearing Voices when he talks to his teddy bear or if we're just delving into his imagination.
- Ambiguously Evil: it's unclear if the tro-lo-logs are malicious in their people-eating or just being hungry animals.
- Big Bad: Jamie Benjamin, a Creepy Child who feeds people to monsters in a pit.
- Death by Irony: Jamie. He spent most of the movie feeding his tormentors to the tro-lo-logs, only for him to be fed to another pit of them by his new playmate.
- Downer Ending: The tro-lo-logs are killed and Jamie moves to his grandparents after having pulled a HeelFace Turn. He even has a playmate. Said playmate shows him a pit of tro-lo-logs she found, and she pushes him in.
- Karma Houdini: Subverted. Its never discovered that Jamie fed most of the victims to the tro-lo-logs, and he goes to live with his grandparents... but then his new playmate feeds him to her own pit of tro-lo-logs.
- The Place: The "The" Title
- Villain Protagonist: Jamie is a young outcast boy who feeds his tormentors to monsters in the woods.