The story begins with a young boy named Ojo and Unc Nunkie. Their bread tree isn't producing food, so Ojo insists they venture to The Emerald City in search of food. On their journey they encounter various people, including the titular Patchwork Girl.
This film provides examples of:
- Adapted Out: Dorothy, the Shaggy Man, the Glass Cat, and phonograph are not present.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Ozma is described as having "ruddy blonde" hair in The Marvelous Land of Oz. This film depicts her with the curly brown hair of the illustration art.
- Eating Optional: No one starves in Oz, but it's still not comfortable being hungry.
- Canon Foreigner: Mewel is a goofy pantomime donkey created for the film.
- Nephewism: Ojo is being raised by his uncle.
- Pantomime Animal: The animals are depicted in pantomime.
- Taken for Granite: The plot kicks off when Unc Nunkie and two other characters are accidentally turned into marble statues.