The film follows Alice Kinnon (Sevigny) and Charlotte Pingress (Beckinsale), two young women in the early 1980s who are Hampshire College graduates and work in a New York publishing house as poorly paid readers, who after work are able to enter an exclusive disco nightclub.
The Last Tropes of Disco:
- Big Applesauce: The movie takes place in New York City.
- The Cameo: Characters from director Stillman's previous films Metropolitan and Barcelona make appearances.
- Coolest Club Ever: The disco nightclub, based on Studio 54, is "impossible to get into."
- Creative Closing Credits/Dance Party Ending: The ending credit sequence shows people on the subway and even people on platforms dancing to "Love Train".
- Dueling Movies: This movie was released just four months before 54.
- End of an Era: This film, like Boogie Nights, shows characters who had a good time at the end of The '70s reacting to changes brought on by The '80s.
- The Last Title: The title.
- Monster Roommate: Charlotte and Alice drive each other mad.
- Production Throwback: Characters from director Stillman's previous films Metropolitan and Barcelona make appearances.
- Visible Boom Mic: When Charlotte and Alice are walking down a corridor.
- Year X: Set in "the very early 1980s."