Geoffrey Radcliffe (Vincent Price, in his first horror film role) is sentenced to death for killing his brother. Innocent to the crime, he escapes on the day of his supposed execution by injecting himself with the invisibility formula provided by Dr. Frank Griffin, the brother of the original invisible man. Now Geoffrey must find the real culprit while battling the insanity-causing side-effects of his condition.
This film has examples of:
- Benevolent Boss: Geoffrey is very well liked by his employees as a fair boss whom looks out for their pay and safety. Comes back to save him in the end as when he needs a blood transfusion, dozens of his men jump at the call to help.
- Big Bad: Richard Cobb, who framed Geoffrey for murder to take over his coal mining business.
- Chairman of the Brawl: To even the odds against the invisible Geoffrey, Cobb turns out the lights in the room they're in and throws a chair at him.
- Cigar Chomper: Inspector Sampson is always shown smoking a cigar. Justified in that he's using the smoke to detect the invisible man.
- Conspicuous Gloves: Unlike its predecessor, the film is set in warmer weather, so it looks a bit strange for Geoffrey to wear them in most instances.
- Helen faints when she, against Geoffrey's wishes, takes a look at him while he is removing the bandages from his face that conceal his invisibility.
- Spears after Geoffrey convinces him that he's a ghost, faints on the spot.
- Drunk on the Dark Side: Geoffrey inevitable starts acting crazy because of his condition, starting to think himself as god.
- Inspector Javert: Samson.
- Kind Restraints: Geoffrey asks Frank to restrain him if he shows signs of invisibility formula's insanity. After a tense dinner scene with said friend and his love interest, Geoffrey is subdued and chained to a chair and does indeed attack Frank.
- Revenge of the Sequel
- See the Invisible: The constables stationed around almost catch Geoffrey when they spot him, his outlines revealed by the pouring rain. They also proceed to spray the insides of the house with gas in hopes of finding him there.