The Giant Spider is the eighth film by Christopher R. Mihm and the eighth film in the Mihmiverse Shared Universe. It has been referred to as "The Avengers of the Mihmiverse" for how it unites the heroes from several earlier films to deal with a new menace - in this case, the titular giant spider.
Set after the events of Terror from Beneath the Earth, the movie opens with Danny Johnson playing in the woods, where he spots the giant spider. He reports this to his stepmother, Rosemary, who contacts the authorities. This brings in Dr. Edwards and Dr. Gabriel from Attack of the Moon Zombies, along with their associate Dr. Hackett, who act as scientific advisers to General Castle from House of Ghosts.
Naturally, it falls to SCIENCE! to save the day when the might of the American military proves less than effective. Thankfully, Intrepid Reporter Howard Johnson is on hand to help the scientists put their plan into action when General Castle proves less than receptive to a solution that doesn't involve dropping a nuke on the giant spider.
This film provides examples of:
- Arbitrary Skepticism: When Howard Johnson tries to warn the people at the barn dance of the approaching giant spider, nobody believes him until they hear the sound of someone outside being eaten.
- Even then, nobody takes Howard seriously about the giant spider being real and they only abandon the building after he says it's an alien invasion.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The Giant Spider.
- Creator Cameo: Christoper R. Mihm plays Mr. Boland - the owner and manager of the Phantom Lake Drive-In Theater.
- Double Entendre: The Canoe Cop Women's Auxiliary's speech about the importance of making sure the men have their paddles waxed.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: It's a movie about a giant spider.
- Five Rounds Rapid: How General Castle initially tries to deal with The Giant Spider.
- General Ripper: General Castle.
- Giant Spider: Obviously.
- Guns Are Worthless: The Giant Spider's exoskeleton is bullet-proof.
- Homage: To The '50s Sci-Fi Horror in general, with specific nods to Earth vs. the Spider and The Giant Gila Monster.
- Immune to Bullets: The Giant Spider.
- Intrepid Reporter: Howard Johnson.
- Kill 'Em All: General Castle's solution to everything.
- No More for Me: Upon seeing the giant spider and realizing it is real, one drunken railway rider pours out his bottle, drops it, looks upward and tells God that he promises to never ever EVER take another drink for as long as he lives.
- He then adds that he's counting on God to make the whole "as long as I live thing last a whole heck of a lot longer" than seems likely as the spider starts chasing him.
- Nuke 'em: General Castle's solution to everything that can't be solved by Five Rounds Rapid.
- Science Hero: Dr. Edwards. Dr. Gabriel and Dr. Hackett.
- Shout-Out: Several.
- The name of reporter Howard Johnson is a nod to both the famous hotel chain and a reference to Blazing Saddles.
- The marquee at the drive-in theater says they are screening a movie called Canoe Cops vs. The Mummy - a nod to both the Canoe Cops from earlier Mihmiverse movies and a novel by Stephen D. Sullivan based on the universe of Mihm's movies.
- Stock Footage: The scenes of the army preparing to fight The Giant Spider.
- The 'Verse
- Dr. Edwards from Terror from Beneath the Earth and Attack of the Moon Zombies appears once again. He will appear later in The Late Night Double Feature.
- Dr. Gabriel, first seen in Attack of the Moon Zombies, appears here. He will appear again in The Late Night Double Feature and Demon with the Atomic Brain
- Dr. Victoria Hackett is the mother of Dr. Stephanie Hackett, who was the heroine of Attack of the Moon Zombies.
- General Castle previously appeared in House of Ghosts and will appear again in Demon with the Atomic Brain.
- Danny Johnson previously appeared in Terror from Beneath the Earth and will go in to star in Danny Johnson Saves the World.
- Rosemary Bennett/Johnson previously appeared in Terror from Beneath the Earth.
- Deputy Hayes previously appeared in Terror from Beneath the Earth and House of Ghosts.
- Reporter Howard Johnson is the brother of Stan Johnson from Terror from Beneath the Earth. He's also, logically, the uncle of Danny Johnson.