The Cannibal in the Jungle was a 2015 Found Footage Mockumentary by Animal Planet about an alleged cannibalism case from Flores in 1977, where an ornithologist who was accused of killing and eating his American college and Indonesian guide but maintained his innocence to the modern day by insisting they were killed by an unknown species resembling the Ebu Gogo. A fossil discovery in 2004 of a new species of hominid that once lived in Flores of similar description and recovered tapes from the 1977 expedition begin to show he was telling the truth.
This film provides examples of:
- Artistic License Physics: Square cube law means a Homo sapiens twice the height of a Homo floresiensis will have eight times the stride, lung capacity, heart volume, and muscle mass; meaning they'd be much faster overland. As such it be very hard for the latter to chase down the former.
- Artistic License Paleontology: The Ebu Gogo zig-zag this. They're the right height, in the right location, and use the right tools to be Homo floresiensis. They also have traits most think Homo floresiensis had, such as speech and fire use. However, Homo floresiensis was not half covered in fur, couldn't swing through the trees, and almost certainly wouldn't consider a much larger, adult Homo sapiens as food. H. floresiensis in life would have looked like a very short caveman with slightly distorted facial builds such as larger eyes and lacking chins. The Ebu Gogo in this look more like furry, short orcs who strangely look green tinted in some shots.
- Cannibal Tribe: Subverted. Not the natives in Flores but the Ebu Gogo, which are Homo floresiensis and thus a different species of human.
- Killer Rabbit: Think the Ebu Gogo being only a meter tall means they wouldn't be much threat to a healthy adult man? You'd be dead wrong.
- Human Subspecies: The Ebu Gogo are explained as surviving Homo floresiensis.
- Spiritual Successor: To "Mermaids: The Body Found" and "Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives", which aired on the same network years prior and in the same marathon. It's format is also very similar to "Lost Tapes", again on the same channel.
- Voice Changeling: Those instances someone hears a slight distorted voice yelling or whispering "Run"? It's the Egu Gogo mimicking the last thing one of their victims shouted to try and attract or confuse more humans.
- Zerg Rush: It's heavily implied this is how the Ebu Gogo killed several people, as the whole tribe shows up right before they attack.