Businesswoman Michelle Darnell (Melissa McCarthy) is convicted of insider trading, when she released from prison she's ready to redeem herself with no luck, she moves in with her assistant Clare (Kristen Bell) and her preteen daughter who's a member of the Dandelions, a Girl Scout-like troop, in time Michelle starts Michelle's Darlings and sell brownies and takes down her enemy Helen (Annie Mumolo).
This film provides examples of:
- A Minor Kidroduction: The opening scene shows Michelle being returned to the orphanage at ages 5, 10 and 15 by her adoptive parents.
- Alpha Bitch: Helen is an older version but, nevertheless, plays this trope, ironically, with a girl scout troop, where she bullies them and puts them down, along with the other den-mothers.
- Bad Boss: Michelle was this to Claire, even making her whiten her teeth at one point, despite that not being in her job description, and, later, Claire has to deal with Dana, who's snobby, vain, and overbearing
- Dark and Troubled Past: Michelle spends her whole childhood as an orphan and is rejected and taken back to the orphanage by her foster/adoptive parents.
- Expy: Michelle, of Martha Stewart and Suze Orman.
- Freudian Excuse: As noted with the abovementioned, much of Michelle's personality and how she treats most everyone is because she was left at and orphanage and kept being returned.
- Hypocritical Humor: Claire reprimands her 10-year-old daughter for yelling "Holy shit!" when she finds Michelle in the closet, only to do the same things seconds later.
- Parents as People: Claire is a good parent to her 10-year old daughter but she does have a lot to contend with as a single mother.
- Riches to Rags: Michelle after her release from jail, to her surprise, more when she has to move into her former employee's home.
- Scout-Out: Dandelions and Michelle's Darlings
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Was the case for Michelle until she's arrested for insider trading.
- That Man Is Dead: Ronald will bring this when Michelle calls him by that name, in which case, he reminds her that he's "Renault" now.
- White Collar Crime: Michelle ends up in jail for insider trading.
- Woman Scorned: Inverted, Ronald (or "Renault", as he calls himself) holds a grudge against Michelle, after their engagement broke off because the latter took a promotion. This is partially the reason as to why Michelle was arrested for insider trading, as he tipped off the authorities.