Les Invasions Barbares (English: The Barbarian Invasions) is a 2003 French-Canadian film, directed by Denys Arcand. The movie, a sequel to the 1986 film Le Déclin de l'Empire Américain' (The Decline of the American Empire), won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 2004. It is the first (and to date the only) Canadian film to win the award.
- Betty and Veronica. Both Remy's older ex-lovers and Sebastien's love interests, though YMMV.
- Bourgeois Bohemian. Remy and his friends.
- Drugs Are Bad. Subverted, somewhat. Sebastien obtains heroin to ease Remy's pain, becoming a Health Care Motivation trope.
- The Generation Gap. Between the socialist Remy and his capitalist son. Leads to Awkward Father Son Bonding Activity.
- Mighty Whitey. Destroyed during Remy's "cretinism" monologue.
- "Pan Up to the Sky" Ending : A bittersweet version as Remy dies.
- The Professor. Inverted, somewhat. Instead of the guy who knows everything, Remy is portrayed as a loser.