That Awkward Moment (known as Are We Officially Dating? in New Zealand) is a 2014 Rom Com, the directorial debut of Tom Gormican (who also wrote the film), and starring Zac Efron, Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Imogen Poots, Mackenzie Davis, and Jessica Lucas.
The story focuses on Jason (Efron), Daniel (Teller), and Mikey (Jordan), three Heterosexual Life-Partners who live in New York City. Jason and Daniel, both of whom design book covers for a publishing company, enjoy being single and engaging in casual encounters with women, while Mikey, a hospital nurse, is happily married to Vera (Lucas)—that is, until he finds out Vera's been having an affair and now wants a divorce.
In a show of brotherly solidarity, Jason and Daniel make a pact to remain single along with Mikey. Soon, though, Jason meets Ellie (Poots), an attractive writer, and begins a relationship with her; Daniel's relationship with his friend Chelsea (Davis) evolves into something else, and Mikey struggles to work through his issues with Vera.
This film contains examples of the following tropes:
- Gag Penis: Jason sports one as part of a costume to Ellie's birthday party, not knowing it isn't that kind of party.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Jason, Daniel, and Mikey have been close since college.
- It's a Costume Party, I Swear!: Jason gets invited to a "dress-up" party by Ellie, and shows up in a profane costume involving a shirt emblazoned with "Rock Out" and a large dildo hanging out of the front of his pants. It's the fancy sort of dress-up party, not a costume party.
- Look Both Ways: Daniel winds up in the hospital after running across the street, high on his realization that he loves Chelsea and wants to actually date her.
- Mr. Fanservice: Female fans will get a kick out of seeing Zac Efron partially nude in the bathroom.
- Nice Guy:
- Both Ellie and Chelsea are pretty nice young women. Vera, on the other hand...
- Mikey is the nicest out of the three pals.