Thank God It's Friday is a 1978 film made at the height of the disco craze. The film was criticized because it won an Academy Award for Donna Summer's hit song, "Last Dance", which moviegoers thought it didn't deserve. The movie tells the intertwining stories all in a day of the staff and visitors of the disco club called The Zoo.
Tropes used by the film:
- Casanova Wannabe: Tony Di Marco, the club owner (played by Jeff Goldblum).
- Hypocrite: Jennifer rejects all the guys Maddy picks because they're all sleazeballs, and is later seen with them.
- Logo Joke: The Columbia Torch Lady's toga briefly transforms into a disco-themed outfit and she does a brief boogie, seen here.
- Naughty Nurse Outfit: Jackie is a dental hygenist by day, disco freak by night.
- Odd Couple: Gus is a garbage collector, and he gets a blind date with Shirley the college graduate.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: When Gus goes too far with Shirley, she punches him out and gives him one. It inspires him to give their relationship a shot.
- Watch the Paint Job: Tony, owner of The Zoo disco and a Casanova par excellence, is introduced carefully covering his 1974 Porsche 911 Carrera with a tarp before he heads into the club for the evening. Over the next few hours various other cars accidentally knock it about in passing, and in his final scene as he tries one last time to woo a housewife away from her husband he smacks the car in frustration, whereupon it virtually implodes from the accumulated damage, much to the amusement of the couple.