Thank God It's Friday is a 1978 film made at the height of the disco craze... and hated soon after. The film was criticized because it won an Academy Award for Donna Summer's hit song, "Last Dance", which moviegoers thought it didn't deserve. The movie tells the intertwining stories all in a day of the staff and visitors of the disco club called The Zoo. Hilarity Ensues.
Tropes used by the film:
- Casanova Wannabe: Tony, the club owner
- Hypocrite: Jennifer rejects all the guys Maddy picks because they're all sleazeballs, and is later seen with them.
- Logo Joke: The Columbia Torch Lady's toga briefly transforms into a disco-themed outfit and she does a brief boogie, seen here.
- Naughty Nurse Outfit: Jackie is a dental hygenist by day, disco freak by night.
- Odd Couple: Gus is a garbage collector, and he gets a blind date with Shirley the college graduate.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: When Gus goes too far with Shirley, she punches him out and gives him one. It inspires him to give their relationship a shot.