Christopher Wilde is a famous celebrity singer and teen heartthrob who has to escape the paparazzi in order to win a movie role. Jessica Olson is just a regular girl from a small town who is with her family on vacation and is the only girl not hung up on Christopher. They meet each other at a chance encounter, and while they have an extremely rough start, they eventually grow fond of each other. But will their friendship manage to last in their two different worlds?
Not to be confused with the other Starstruck.
- Artistic License Law: While freedom of the press has always been a high priority, reporters aren't legally allowed to do 90% of what the film shows them doing. With the stalking and harassment charges Christopher and Jessica could bring against them, the tabloids they sell probably wouldn't cover reparations, bail money or their lawyers.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Christopher and Jessica. They spend the entire movie arguing, but are falling in love at the same time.
- Break Her Heart to Save Her: Christopher's reasoning at the beach. He doesn't want Jessica to get eaten alive by the reporters, so he pretends he never knew her.
- Clark Kenting: Lampshaded in the "What's what?" version"Is that Cristopher Wilde?" "It can't be, he's wearing a hat."
- Crash-Into Hello: A variation. It's the door he's opening crashing into her head.
- Deadpan Snarker: Jessica. Almost everything that comes out of her mouth is some snark towards Christopher.
- The Foreign Subtitle: In Brazil, the movie had the subtitle "Meu Namorado é uma Superestrela" (My Boyfriend is a Superstar).
- Grand Romantic Gesture: Christopher writes and performs a song for Jessica in front of the entire high school.
- High-School Dance: The climax of the film takes place at the school dance, where Jessica is initially alone, awkward, and being teased. That's when Christopher shows up.
- One-Word Title
- Only Sane Woman: Jessica, who is the only girl not crazy for Christopher Wilde.
- Preppy Name: Christopher Wilde.
- Properly Paranoid: Christopher's wariness of the paparazzi. He comes off as crazy to Jessica, but he's proven right, as they swarm the two of them constantly.
- Quick Sand Sucks: The fate of Petunia. They get stuck in quicksand, and though they get out, the car gets swallowed whole.
- Reality Ensues: After Christopher sings his song to Jessica in front of the school, she doesn't immediately forgive him and even outright asks if he expected everything would be fine.
- Running Gag: Christopher accidentally hitting Jessica in the face with a door.
- Shaming the Mob: What Jessica tries to do to the paparazzi outside her house with a massive "The Reason You Suck" Speech. Based off one of the reporters asking her cameraman if he got all that on film or not, it failed miserably.
- Somebody Doesn't Love Raymond: Why Christopher is so interested in Jessica. She's the only girl who isn't falling all over him, and is honest about how she feels.
- Spoiled Brat: Jessica's opinion of Christopher. She thinks he's just some spoiled celebrity, and has to learn that he's a lot better of a guy than that.
- That Came Out Wrong: "I'm Christopher Wilde and you're just an ordinary girl."
- That Didn't Happen: Christopher to Jessica. He pretends they never even knew each other, to try and spare her from the paparazzi.
- Tsundere: Jessica is nice and polite, except to Christopher, who provokes her constant temper. Christopher calls her out on her snap judgments.
- Vomit Discretion Shot: When Jessica throws up on Stubby's favorite shoes.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle!: The movie could have ended half an hour earlier if Christopher made his relationship with Jessica public.