Spijt (Regret) is a Dutch movie, about the bullying and eventual suicide of teenager Jochem.
Jochem is overweight and often the target of the vicious bullies Sanne, Justin and Remco. His classmates David and Vera feel sympathy and try to encourage him to be more assertive. Jochem gets to know Vera better as they work together in an animal shelter and falls in love with her. When their homeroom teacher organises a party, Jochem admits this, but Vera rejects him. The bullies target Jochem again and David refuses to help him this time. The next day Vera and David find out he killed himself.
Based on a book by Carry Slee, the movie was released in 2013.
Spijt provides examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: the homeroom teacher does nothing to protect Jochem from the bullies. He even laughs sometimes, not realizing how serious it is. Jochem's mother does want to do something, but Jochem stops her.
- The Atoner: David, as he bitterly regrets not having helped Jochem the last day of his life.
- Bitter Sweet Ending: Mostly bitter, but most of the people who knew Jochem realize they should change the way they treat people.
- The Bully: And how.
- Driven to Suicide
- Meaningful Funeral
- Reformed Bully: Two out of three.
- You Are Fat: The main thing that Jochem is being bullied about.