College student Ray Aibelli (Jeremy Davies) is preparing to leave on a prestigious medical internship when his mother Susan (Alberta Watson) breaks her leg. His father Tom (Benjamin Hendrickson), a travelling salesman, makes Ray stay and take care of her for the summer. Then things get weird.
Contains examples of:
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Ray. Often, albeit unsuccessfully.
- Bathtub Bonding: A strange example. Ray has to help Susan into the shower, leading to the awkward intimacy required to take care of a semi-invalid.
- Covers Always Lie: This 90's indie film has a cover depicting the typical twenty-something slacker known to star in this sort of movie, making it seem to be a Sex Comedy in the vein of Clerks, possibly about having A Date with Rosie Palms. In reality, it is a Dark Comedy about Parental Incest.
- Disappeared Dad: Ray's father travels on business most of the time, which is why Ray becomes a sort of stand-in. It got worse.
- Dysfunctional Family: The Aibellis (of course). The dad is almost constantly absent and cheats on his wife (and apparently he's not on speaking terms with his own sister), the mom decides to manipulate her son into having sex with her. Ray himself isn't really a bad person per se, he just has the rotten luck of living with these people.
- Eye Scream: Toni gets a scratched retina due to Susan hitting her.
- Faking the Dead: Ray fakes his death at the end of the movie, to get away from his family.
- Family Versus Career: When Ray tells his mother that she could go back to medical school, Susan admits to Ray that his father Tom didn't want any children, and gave her a choice of either becoming a mother or continuing her career; she chose the former. It's easy to see why she's such an unhappy person, but this makes her actions all the more selfish when she later seduces her own son.
- Girl Next Door: Toni is this to Ray, being a sweet and approachable girl from the neighborhood who is the only real person he can talk to aside from his mother.
- Intentionally Awkward Title: The title refers to a slang term for masturbation.
- Interrupted Suicide: Ray attempts to hang himself to get out of the abusive sexual relationship with his mother. She interrupts his attempt when she notices the belt sticking out of the other side of the door.
- Meddling Parents: Susan pressures Ray's academic achievements, because she wasn't able to become a doctor as she wanted.
- Oedipus Complex: Ray has a distant relationship with his frequently absent father Tom, and a codependent relationship with his mother Susan, which eventually becomes sexual, causing him much mental anguish and confusion.
- Their First Time: Subverted. Raymond and the cute Girl Next Door are making out for the first time, but since they're both too inexperienced and don't really know what they want he's too gentle at first and then too aggressive when she tells him to be more rough with her, so they both stop. This contributes to Raymond's growing sexual frustration and the later sexual encounter he has with his mother.
- Your Cheating Heart: When he calls home, Ray's dad Tom is seen to be in the company of a naked woman putting her clothes back on in his motel room. It's implied that he frequently sleeps around on his wife.