Slap Her...She's French (also known as She Gets What She Wants in the United States) is a 2002 comedy starring Piper Perabo, Jane McGregor and Trent Ford.
The plot has a popular and well-to-do Texas teenager Starla Grady (McGregor) and her family take in a French exchange student by the name of Genevieve LePlouff (Perabo). As Starla tries to integrate Genevieve into American high school life, her own popularity slowly begins to eclipse her own, much to her jealousy and chagrin.
- Alpha Bitch: Starla is implied to be one, if going by how she treats Ed and Doreen. Not to mention she first introduced her best friends, Tanner and Ashley, as slurs to Genevieve.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Starla delivers two of them in the film's climax, first to Genevieve, who's real name is Clarissa Fogelsy, who spent the film getting revenge on her for a childhood prank that ruined her life and her boyfriend Kyle, who dumped her for Genevieve.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Downplayed with Starla's kid brother, Randolph; she considers him to be a brat due to him obviously being both smarter and wittier than she is, but she herself can be the more bratty of the two.
- Cool Loser: Ed, a writer/photographer for the school's paper. He (alongside Randolph) also help Starla expose Genevieve as a fraud and he and her even get a Relationship Upgrade at the end of the film.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Genevieve: she's orphaned and her one-time love drowned after falling in a river after a motorcycle crash. Turns out, she, or rather Clarissa, her real name, does have one: she was set up by Starla in a cruel prank when they were children into licking a ice sculpture of a cow at a school play. Her tongue got stuck, she was a laughingstock and was so humiliated by what happened, she left the school and her family soon moved to France some time later.
- Everything Sounds Sexier in French: How Genevieve is able to appeal to so many of her fellow students and get away with some of her more raunchier words and expressions ("What big meat that you have", "It must be nice to have a girl stuck to your bod like that", etc.)
- Granola Girl: Doreen, an atypical student at Starla's school who's a vegetarian and against harm to any animals whatsoever.
- Green-Eyed Monster: How Starla soon comes to view Genevieve as her popular begins to surpass her own.
- Here We Go Again!: At the end of the film, which now takes place in a French, Clarissa/"Genevieve" is now portraying a stereotypical Texan named Starla for the new French family who will be hosting her.
- Lady Drunk: Subverted with Mrs. Grady, who drinks a lot to the point of others knowing about it, but it doesn't stop her from being supportive of her children or even in showing a genuine interest in Genevieve.
- Mushroom Samba: Quite literally; before her arrest, Starla eats psychedelic mushrooms and arrives to school high.
- Never My Fault: When Starla franks out and tries to explain that Genevieve switched the French tape with the tape of her badmouthing the student body and talking about how her French teacher and his wife engage in swinging, he then asks her, "And I suppose that's not your voice we're listening to?!"
- Nice Hat: Genevieve's beret, which soon becomes a widespread fashion trend, to Starla's chagrin.
- Not So Different: Starla and Randolph. As much as they bicker with one another, it's eventually discovered that not only did he never trust Genevieve from the start but despite loving their state and their hunter father, she admits to being a vegetarian and he admits to putting blanks in their father's gun before he goes hunting.
- Precision F-Strike: "No one fucks with my family."
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: After getting arrested for getting drunk and attacking Genevieve in class, Starla vomits on the police headquarters floor as she's being lead to booking.