Ship of Monsters (Sp: La Nave De Los Monstruos) was a Mexican horror-comedy film from 1960. It Starred then-popular comedian "Piporro" and features Science Fiction tropes common in movies of the time.
When the planet Venus needs men to breed with, they send two women, Gamma and Beta, to find some in other planets. After capturing several monstrous aliens (!) they are on their way back to Venus when their ship breaks down and are forced to land near Chihuahua, Mexico. There they meet Lauriano (Piporro) a singing cowboy who immediately hits on the two of them. They decide to take him back to Venus with them. But when Beta commits an act forbidden to her people and is condemned to die, she frees the monsters and sets them loose on the land!
Tropes in Ship of Monsters:
- Bratty Half-Pint: Lauriano's little brother, always sticking his nose in his business and getting in trouble.
- Idiot Hero: Lauriano, who doesn't even realize what's going on until the last minute. He wins mostly through luck.
- Interspecies Romance: The Venusians aren't too picky, judging by how monstrous their would-be mates were. Played straight with Lauriano, who falls in love with Gamma.
- Last of His Kind: Tor, the Venusian's robot servant. They actually found him on a planet whose inhabitants perished in a nuclear war.
- Mars Needs Women: Or rather "Venus Needs Men!" (though one of the alien males is a Martian.)
- Monster Mash: Alien monsters, but still, we had: a vampire, a cyclops, a spider-man (not that one) a skeleton and a big-headed Martian.
- The Musical: Thanks to the songs sung by Lauriano. One of them even serves to distract Beta while he steals her control device away!
- Our Vampires Are Different: Beta turns out to be a Space Vampire! When she reveals the truth, she even starts wearing a Dracula-style cape.
- Tall Tale: Lauriano loves to tell his friends these. Because of that, when he tries to warn them about the aliens, no one believes him.
- What Happened to the Mouse?? Gamma sends the ship (and the robot) back to Venus, choosing to stay on Earth with Lauriano. So how will the Venusians solve their breeding problem now?
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: The Venusians don't know about love, so of course Lauriano has to teach them (with kisses!)