Scarecrow Slayer is a 2003 low-budget direct-to-video horror film produced by The Asylum. It is a sequel to the 2002 film Scarecrow. The film was a direct-to-video release, as well as its predecessor, and its 2004 sequel Scarecrow Gone Wild.
The film was directed by David Michael Latt. Latt also wrote the screenplay for the film. The film stars Tony Todd, Nicole Kingston, and David Castro.
Scarecrow Slayer begins with good friends Dave and Karl attempting to boost the scarecrow that stands in a local farmer's field. Dave becomes the victim of a gunshot during the robbery, and his soul goes on to possess the scarecrow. He uses his status as a member of the undead to do away with anyone who attempts to win the hand of his former girlfriend, Mary. Dave concocts a plan to kidnap Mary, but Karl attempts to stop it. Karl is killed in the process, and he too becomes a scarecrow — leading to a final brawl between the two former friends.
Scarecrow Slayer contains examples of:
- Accidental Murder: Caleb shoots at the Scarecrow, not realising that it is lying on top of Dave. His bullet goes through the scarecrow and kills Dave.
- Air-Vent Passageway: After the Scarecrow kills Caleb in the hospital, Mary escapes from her room into Judy's by crawling through a ridiculously large air vent.
- Blood from the Mouth: Blood spurts from Deputy Larry's mouth when he is killed; just before he falls in half.
- Bridal Carry: The Scarecrow carres the unconscious Mary like this when he takes her back to the field to make her into a scarecrow.
- Broken Heel: Mary sprains her ankle when she falls out of the frat house while attempting to escape the Scarecrow.
- Car Fu: When escaping from the hospital, Mary drives straight through the Scarecrow; causing it to scatter into bits.
- Chekhov's Gun: When they first sneak into the field, Dave and Karl pass a large piece of agricultural machinery. One of them comments that it looks like a giant shredder. Guess what plays an important part in the final battle?
- Deadly Prank: Dave and Karl are sent to steal a scarecrow from a farmer's field as part of a fraternity initiation. This ends with Dave being shot and his soul being transferred into a demonic scarecrow.
- Dead Man Honking: When Karl swerves to avoid the Scarecrow, he crashes and face plants on the steering wheel, causing the horn to blare.
- The Ditz: Sheila. Upon arriving at Caleb's farm, she asks "What is this? A farm or something?", to much eye-rolling from Mary in the back seat.
- Electromagnetic Ghosts: The presence of the Scarecrow causes mobile phones to fill with static and stop functioning.
- Gardening-Variety Weapon: Mary uses a pitchfork when she attempts to drive the Scarecrow into the shredder.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Deputy Larry is killed when the Scarecrow cuts him in half at the waist.
- Helping Hands: Just before Caleb's father is killed in The Teaser, the Scarecrow's arm can be seen skittering along the ground in front of the tractor.
- Mars Needs Women: Dave's soul is sucked into the body of a demonic scarecrow when he is shot and killed. The Scarecrow then kidnaps Dave's girlfriend Mary, planning to transform her into a scarecrow and make her his bride.
- Pregnant Badass: Deputy Rachel goes out to hunt down the undead scarecrow Serial Killer despite being seven months pregnant, and makes the best showing of any of the law enforcement personnel in the movie.
- Pulling Themselves Together: The Scarecrow reassembles itself after being smashed to smithereens by Mary's Car Fu.
- Scary Scarecrow: A college freshman is killed during a fraternity prank and is resurrected as a demonic scarecrow.
- Semper Fi: Gavin and his frat boys refer to themselves as 'The Marines'. Other characters are at pains to point out that they are not actually Marines. It seems they are members of the ROTC.
- Sinister Scythe: The Scarecrow dual wields a pair of wicked looking sickles.
- Twisted Ankle: Mary sprains her ankle when she falls out of the upper storey of the frat house while escaping the Scarecrow. This leaves her badly limping and easy prey for the Scarecrow when he catches up with her.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The last the viewer hears of Deputy Rachel is that she is still unconscious after giving birth, and that her prognosis is not good. Her final fate is never revealed.
- Wiper Start: When Mary is abandoned at Caleb's farm, she finds the keys to his truck and attempts to start it. She eventually gets it going, but in the process turns on the wipers. (Or, as it is raining, it is possible that Caleb had not turned off the wipers when he parked the truck.)
- Your Cheating Heart: Deputy Larry is having an affair while his wife is seven months pregnant.