During a trip to the Catskills, disgruntled artist Fred (Ruben) encounters best selling horror writer Fanny (Cash) who later comes to his cabin during a blackout during which the two tell each other horror stories.
The film premiered on October 1, 2020.
Tropes for Scare Me include:
- Downer Ending: Fred finds Fannys journal while shes going to the bathroom and sees that shes been taking notes on him, possibly in order to write her next book. This pushes him over the edge and he chases her with a weapon to either scare or or actually kill her eventually falling down the stairs and impaling himself. Traumatized, she leaves him to die alone and his body is found the next day by the kindly Uber driver who brought him to the cabin the day before.
- Ghost Story: The meat of the film is Fred, Fanny and eventually Carlo telling improvising scary stories to each other. Instead of cutting to the stories, they are told completely in the cabin. There are sound effects.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Fred is barely able to hide his jealousy fit Fannys talent and success and this makes his attitude worse as the film goes on.
- Handshake Refusal: Fred tries to give Fanny a high five at the end of their first meeting, but she ignores the gesture.
- Jerkass: Neither Fred or Fanny are particularly nice people. Fannys success has gone to her head and she spends a good amount of the film belittling Fred. Fred is no better and probably worse as hes jaded by his lack of success and clearly took it out on his ex-wife and later Fanny.
- Minimalist Cast: Fanny, Fred, Carlo and Uber driver Bettina are the only characters.
- Nice Guy: Carlo the pizza guy balances out Fred and Fannys jerkassery with his affable demeanor. Unlike Fred whos passive aggressive towards Fanny, he shows admiration for Fannys horror novel. And unlike Fanny he takes to Freds snipes with stride rather that sniping back. The Uber driver is also quite polite.