In the town of Shelbyville, Illinois, Gilly Noble falls in love with hairdresser Jo Wingfield. Unfortunately, just as they're about to tie the knot, a private detective shows Gilly proof that he is actually Jo's long-lost brother. Horrified at the thought that she had sex with her brother, Jo flees to Beaver, Oregon while Gilly tries to console himself with the fact that at least he apparently has a biological family. When it later turns out that Gilly isn't Jo's brother, he embarks on a quest to find her and bring her home.
This film contains examples of:
- An Arm and a Leg: Dig lost both of his legs.
- BrotherSister Incest: The whole plot hinges on the idea that Gilly and Jo might be engaging in this.
- Meet Cute: Gilly and Jo first meet when Gilly goes for a haircut from Jo and she mentions that her cat is missing, and her description of the cat matches one that Gilly found at the animal shelter.
- Multiple-Choice Past: Dig claims that he has heritage to several different Native American nations.
- Surprise Incest: The revelation that Gilly might be Jo's biological brother comes just as they are about to marry.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Jack Mitchelson is a scumbag pot dealer who hides behind the guise of a wealthy philanthropist.