The story involves our two loser heroes, Wayne (Zahn) and J.D. (Black), trying to prevent the impending marriage of their friend Darren (Biggs) and his Control Freak fiancee Judith (Peet), due to Darren's high school crush Sandy (Amanda Detmer) coming back into town. To this end, they kidnap Judith, fake her death, and try to hook Darren up immediately after giving him the "sad news". But will Darren get over Judith's supposed death before she exposes his friends' plan to get rid of her?
Has nothing to do with Sarah Silverman.
Tropes in this film include:
- Absolute Cleavage: Judith sports this in a few different outfits.
- The Ace: Judith.
- Affably Evil: Judith, most of the time.
- All Amazons Want Hercules: Played with — while neither Sandy nor Judith are overtly amazon-like, Sandy is quite strong, and Judith has an aggressive personality, and the pair marry Darren and Wayne, respectively.Wayne: (While he and Judith strangle each other) I'm the strong-willed, assertive man that you need, and you're the hardcore bitch I've always dreamed of!
- Judith's late-fiancee fit the Hercules mold more strongly, having died g a kickboxing match.
- Ambiguously Jewish: Both Darren and Judith (Jewish and Nerdy in the first case, Matzo Fever in the second).
- Beware the Nice Ones: When Wayne and J.D. show up at Darren's after Judith escapes, he punches Wayne through a glass door and on top of Sandy's car, then throws J.D. with him.
- Big Eater: J.D.
- Blatant Lies: They tell Coach Norton that they ate Judith. Alive.Coach Norton: My hat goes off to you, you boys are smart! That's the perfect crime.
- Brick Joke: The quote from J.D. under Suddenly Sexuality gets brought back when Wayne, after having some mind-games played on him by Judith, is seen naked with his back on the floor, butt over his head, and the book on Yoga in his hand.
- The Cameo: Neil Diamond.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Coach Norton.
- Control Freak: Judith. Big time. She makes Darren burn all of his Neil Diamond albums, makes him wax her legs, and she threatens to revoke his masturbation privileges.
- Dark Action Girl: Unlike most female villains in movies of this type, Judith almost never relies on her sexuality as a weapon, preferring instead to utilize physical strength, athleticism, and her impressive intellect. That just might be the reason she's increasingly portrayed as a Noble Demon as the film goes along, and in the end experiences a HeelFace Turn.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Presented in chart form by Wayne and J.D. when trying to get Darren to hang out with them more.
- Death by Cameo: The ref who Coach Norton kills is played by director Dennis Dugan.
- Dissimile: Wayne claims to work in a related field to Judith's. She's a psychologist — he's in pest and rodent removal.Judith: How is that related?Wayne: *beat* We both help people.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Happens to Wayne, thanks to an overwhelming amount of Foe Yay.Judith: It took balls. Big balls.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male:Wayne: She didn't like the way his ass looked. Made him get butt-cheek implants.J.D.: I thought his ass looked tighter!
- Extreme Doormat: Darren agrees to take Judith's last name and even gets ass implants at her request.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: J.D.
- Foreshadowing: Coach Norton tells the guys to stay away from women, and not give them any of their "man-juice." This makes sense when you realize that, he's actually gay.
- Freudian Excuse: Judith psychoanalyzes herself at Wayne's request, explaining that she feels compelled to completely dominate Darren because her former boyfriend was a self-assured, macho, athletic type who got kicked to death in a brutal martial-arts competition.
- He-Man Woman Hater: Coach Norton in spades. Just look at his Establishing Character Moment, and keep in mind that this was a speech he gave to the football team of a High School.Norton: Stay. Away. From women! All they want from ya is your man-juice!
- Henpecked Boyfriend: Darren.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: The incident that landed Coach Norton in jail. He grabbed the down marker, and threw it at the ref. It goes right through him.
- Lame Comeback: This exchange.Judith: Loser.
Wayne: Stealer... of... my friend!
- Loony Fan: While all three of the main men are huge fans of Neil Diamond (going so far as to be a cover band dressed as him), J.D. manages to get a restraining order slapped on all of them by giving Neil The Glomp. They later framed and hung it up in the front hallway.J.D.: Neil! I wanna party with you... I wanna party with you!
- The Lost Lenore: Judith serves as this to Darren, which makes it far less comfortable when Wayne keeps trying to push him into hooking up with Sandy.Darren: Come on Wayne. When are you gonna forget about the idea that I'll go out with Sandy?
Wayne: When you go out with Sandy!
- Mama Raccoon: Wayne, as an Animal Control Specialist, should know better than to handle a baby animal when its mother might be around.
- Manipulative Bitch: Judith is the queen of this trope.
- Misplaced-Names Poster: The DVD cover has none of the stars' names above their pictures. The poster above at least gets Amanda Peet right.
- Ms. Fanservice: Sandy, who shows quite a bit of skin through the course of the movie despite training to become a nun. Judith may also qualify.
- Nice Guy: Darren and Sandy are the two nicest characters out of the cast.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Darren and Judith only meet because of Wayne telling Darren that Judith is in to him.
- Nuns Are Funny / Nun Too Holy: A frequent source of Sandy's humor comes from the convent she wants to join having a very well-equipped (and used!) weight room. And while the nuns themselves are perfectly amenable when Sandy explains she's leaving to be with Darren, we quickly find out that they're more disappointed than they let on.Mother Superior: Damn! Lost another one!Nun #1: Son of a bitch.
- Pair the Spares: Wayne and Judith, and J.D. and Coach Norton at the end.
- Poisonous Captive: Judith.
- Prison Rape: Invoked by Wayne and J.D. to get Coach Norton to bail them out.
- Protagonist-Centered Morality: Aside from the avoided jail-time for kidnapping a woman, Coach Norton was in jail for the first half of the movie due to killing a referee with a football flag.Wayne: So, Coach, how's your parole coming?
Coach Norton: Not good. The victim's whiny family keeps complaining.
J.D.: God! What is their problem?
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: Sandy has to wear a stripper outfit when no other clothes are available.
- Shiksa Goddess: Sandy
- Shock Collar: Utilized by Wayne to help Darren get over Judith quicker... in the form of electric shocks remotely applied to Darren's nipples when he mentions her name.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Judith and Wayne at the end.Wayne: Admit it! Aah! I'm the strong-willed, assertive man you need... and you're the hardcore bitch I've always dreamed of!
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: Judith gets Shot in the Ass and punched in the mouth.
- Smug Snake: Judith.
- Street Performer: Darren, Wayne, and J.D. perform in a Neil Diamond cover band on the boardwalk.
- Suddenly Sexuality: J.D, although it's after Judith gives him therapy and helps him realize it. A more straight example would be Coach Norton.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Judith, as part of her role as Control Freak, tries to dissociate Darren from his crass friends and set him up with new ones.Wayne: We knew him first!
J.D.: Fuck you, replacement friends!
- Too Much Information: Wayne is confused about why J.D. won't answer the door because he's eating, leading to this exchange.Wayne: Is there anything else you wanna tell me?J.D.: I got three balls.Wayne: Shut up! God!
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Darren and Sandy.
- Watching the Reflection Undress: After falling into water, Silverman watches the girl dress in a laundromat dryer door reflection.
- Would Hit a Girl: Judith and Wayne are evenly matched as far as physical strength goes, and trade punches in the mouth, each spitting out a tooth afterward. By the end of the film, they're both sporting "hockey grins."