Saving Sally is a 2016 Philippine live-action animated film. It revolves around Marty, an amateur comic artist who falls for Sally, a gadgeteer and inventor. The film served as an official entry for the 2016 Metro Manila Film Festival, which was notable for being dominated by indie and alternative features as opposed to the Christmas Rushed fare the Festival is known (and derided) for.
Saving Sally contains examples of the following tropes:
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
- Some may think that Nick is just one of the people viewed as a monster. Kids may just think of him as a monster with a mushroom head but remember how Marty called him as a "dickhead" and how the character is credited as "Nick the Dick". Despite Word of God saying Nick having a penis for a head, the MTRCB gave the film just a PG (Parental Guidance) rating.
- Also, there are a few F-bombs and S-bombs that are dropped throughout the film.
- Protagonist Title: Sally.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: Marty often interacts with animated monsters, people he views in the negative light. Background characters are also portrayed as monsters.
- Samaritan Relationship Starter: Marty became friends with Sally during his sophomore year in high school after Sally avenge him by humiliating a bully that tormented him in public using her gadgets.
- Sequential Artist: Marty is an amateur comic book artist.
- Spoiler Title: The film revolves around Marty saving Sally from her abusive parents.