Rules of Engagement is a 2000 military legal thriller directed by William Friedkin, starring Samuel L. Jackson as USMC Colonel Terry Childers, a Marine Officer charged with ordering the massacre of civilians protesting outside an embassy, and Tommy Lee Jones as USMC Colonel Hayes Hodges, a JAG lawyer and old friend of Childers, who is defending him against the charges.
Tropes positively identified here are
- The Alcoholic: Colonel Hodges.
- Colonel Badass: Childers. Hodges, not so much.
- Court-Martialed: Childers.
- Jaded Washout: Hodges is an interesting case. The description of him states that he returned from a brutal battle in Vietnam and became a cynic graduating 67th in his law school class a t Georgetown Law, has lost more cases than he won, and is two weeks from retirement. But he made Colonel, implying a highly successful career as a JAG attorney.
- Precision F-Strike: WASTE THE MOTHERFUCKERS!! As uttered by Samuel L. Jackson himself.
- Spiritual Successor: To A Few Good Men.