Road Games is a 1981 Australian remake of Duel, directed by Richard Franklin.
Trucker Pat Quid (Stacy Keach) is pursued by a green van driven by a serial killer called Smith or Jones (Grant Page).
This film provides examples of:
- All Bikers Are Hells Angels: Subverted. The biker Pat encounters is scared of his dog.
- Beard of Evil: The serial killer's beard and mullet give him a bestial appearance.
- Big Badass Rig: Pat's truck.
- Cultured Badass: Despite his tough appearance Pat listens to Mozart, writes poetry, and plays two musical instruments.
- Damsel in Distress: The Hitchhiker (Jamie Lee Curtis) is abducted by the serial killer, and Pat must rescue her.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Pat rejects Hitch's attempt to seduce him.
- Disposing of a Body: Smith/Jones chops his victims into pieces, puts some body parts in the trash, and buries the rest in the desert.
- Dogs Are Dumb: Subverted. Pat's Dingo alerted him to the extra carcass in the trailer, and protected him from the biker.
- The Drifter: Pat is always on the move, and relaxes by playing his harmonica at a campfire.
- Driving into a Truck: The cops pursuing Pat end up wedged into the trailer's tailgate.
- '80s Hair: Pat has a moustache and short back and sides. Hitch has the feathered hair typically worn in the early years of the decade.
- Good Ol' Boy: The employees of the slaughterhouse.
- Good Hair, Evil Hair: Pat is clean-cut and Smith/Jones is hairy and unkempt.
- He-Man Woman Hater: Pat theorizes that Smith/Jones' murders are motivated by misogyny.Pat Quid: I'll tell you what he thinks of women, he despises them. He thinks they're pigs.
- Heroes Love Dogs: Pat has a pet Dingo called Boswell.
- Heroic Dog: Boswell saves Pat's life several times.
- Land Down Under: The roads of the Outback are dirt tracks, settlements are very remote, and there are few working telephones.
- Let's Meet the Meat: The mascot of the meat packing factory is a cartoon pig dressed as a butcher. The Slogan on the side of the trailer? "Pleased to meat you!"
- Mystery Meat: Pat's cargo is pig carcasses. Later, the butchered corpses of two of Smith/Jones' victims are possibly planted in the trailer.
- Old-School Chivalry: Pat
- Police Are Useless: The cops believe Pat is the real killer.
- Razor Floss: Smith/Jones strangles his victims with a guitar string.
- Serial Killer: Smith/Jones is the hedonistic type who preys on young female hitchhikers.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Pat has nightmare flashbacks caused by his time in the navy.
- Shovel Strike: Smith/Jones uses one to smash Pat's truck.
- Spoiled Brat: Hitch is the runaway daughter of a wealthy diplomat.