Ratter is a 2015 horror film starring Ashley Benson and Matt McGorry. Benson plays Emma, a new college student who has just moved into a new apartment. However, things take a turn for the worse when she begins receiving clues that someone is watching her.The film is notable for its voyeuristic POV, as every angle is from a device with a camera that the stalker has hacked into (a cell phone, a laptop, a Kinect, etc).
This film provides examples of:
- Adult Fear: While Emma is being attacked and abducted by her stalker towards the end of the movie, her mother can only watch through webcam as it happens.
- Dead Animal Warning: Emma returns to her apartment to find her cat Clover dead. While others try to convince her that this could have been an accident or natural causes, Emma is convinced it is the work of her stalker.
- Downer Ending: Emma is kidnapped by her stalker while her mother watches helplessly via webcam, crying and begging in vain for the stalker to let her go before he slowly closes the laptop.
- Rear Window Witness: At the end of the film, Emma's mother in Wisconsin can only watch helplessly via webcam as Emma is assaulted and abducted in New York.
- Red Herring: A few, with the biggest one being Emma's jilted ex-boyfriend.
- Social Media Is Bad: A young girl is harassed by a stalker/hacker who has hacked into her devices and can track her because she's always online.
- The Un-Reveal: Emma's stalker turns out to be a complete stranger.