Rakka is a 2017 short film from Oats Studios. In the near future, a race of reptile-like aliens have invaded Earth, killing or enslaving most of humanity. What remains of the human population is engaged in a guerilla war against the invaders, taking what small victories they can and just trying to survive.
This film provides examples of:
- Alien Invasion: Obviously.
- Alien Abduction: They don't take their victims off-planet, but they do experiment on captive humans, with grisly results.
- Body Horror: The results of the alien experiments. They implant humans with mechanical-looking devices, which may exert a form of mind control in some cases. The implants seethe with the oily ferrofluid-like matter that seems to make up much of the invaders' technology. In Amir's case, the implants are believed to have given him the power to see the future and "do the things [the aliens] do".
- The result of the politician's "surgery". The large bulges seem to be twitching.
- Aliens are Bastards: As well as the aforementioned experiments, the invaders use humans as slave labour and as 'surrogate incubators for the alien young'. They're also shown exulting over the dismembered corpses of humans as they burn at the stake, and covered entire landmarks (the Eiffel Tower is shown) in dying humans."The wail of the dying carried for miles."
- Listen closely. You can hear screaming.
- Hostile Terraforming: The invaders have built vast megastructures which pump methane into the atmosphere, and their own crops are choking native plant life. Global temperatures are rising, causing floods, and on top of this they're burning whole forests down.
- Hypnotic Eyes: The aliens are able to exert mind control over humans through eye contact.
- La Résistance: Remnants of humanity are fighting back against the invaders.
- Mind over Matter: The aliens are capable of telekinesis, though it's unclear if its an innate ability or something technological.
- Next Sunday A.D.: Takes place in the year 2020.
- No-Sell: The resistance manufactures headgear that blocks the aliens' Mind Control. They can't make enough for everyone, however, and the invaders know this.
- Precision F-Strike: "Cut its fucking head off".
- Pyro Maniac: Nosh. He's glad the invasion happened, because now he can burn whatever he wants, whenever he wants. The resistance buys bombs from him, at least sometimes in exchange for ill humans who can't contribute to the fight, which he apparently uses as bait to lure the aliens into his bombs.
- The Reptilians: The invaders most closely resemble humans with heads somewhere between a cobra and a crocodile, and the teeth of a leatherback turtle. To ramp up the alienness, they have well over a dozen small black eyes, and a smaller second pair of arms beneath the first.
- Suicide Attack: A woman attempts to use a suicide bomb against an alien patrol. The aliens recognise that she's carrying explosives and shoot her before she can get close enough, but she does succeed in preventing them from noticing the other bomb set up by Nosh, which he detonates, successfully destroying the patrol. Possibly this was the plan all along.
- "Please tell me; what futures do you see?"