Playing With Dolls (Alternate Title: Metalface) is a Horror Movie by Rene Perez.
Cindy Tremaine (Natasha Blasick) is a Ukrainian woman living in the United States who's fallen on hard times. She has no job, she can't pay her rent, and her roommate has just left with all of her belongings. Her old place of work won't even hire her back because of the baggage there.
Luck suddenly seems to be on her side, though. She gets a mysterious package at her home, and a phone call for a job offer. She opens the package, and takes out the key fob for a car her new employer sent, and drives out to the middle of nowhere. Seems she's been hired to look after some old guy's summer home while he's in Denmark, which involves keeping the place clean. The place is pretty fancy, and Cindy is convinced she's hit upon the best opportunity that could've come her way.
What she doesn't realize, however, is that the real reason she got this job is because some psychopath (Richard Tyson) wants to film her being killed by a mask-wearing lunatic (John Glackin). Luckily, help arrives in the form of a police detective (David A. Lokchart).
The movie was released on March the 6th, 2015.
Playing With Dolls contains examples of:
- Bait-and-Switch: When Cindy's guide leaves, she lets out a scream that can be heard from outside. We then see it was a scream of joy, as she feels she hit the jackpot in terms of a job.
- Big "WHAT?!": The detective reacts this way when Cindy tells him his tactical vest is in the dryer.
- Black Dude Dies First: Well, black woman, but yes, the first on-screen death is a black woman, courtesy of the killer.
- Bound and Gagged: How the killer's first on-screen victim ends up at the start of the movie, tied to a tree with a gag in her mouth.
- The Chase: Happens around the beginning of the movie, where the killer is chasing a woman through a snowy field.
- Drop the Hammer: The killer carries around a sledgehammer. In the climax, he uses it to kill one of the guards.
- Furo Scene: Not exactly a furo, but Cindy decides to take a dip in the hot tub in one scene. It's when she's in the hot tub that the detective shows up.
- Get Out!: Cindy basically tells her landlord this in exchange for his offer.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Near the start of the movie, the police detective gets into a fistfight with one of the guards.
- Handguns: The police detective and the guards have these, and use them when they can.
- Jerkass: Cindy's landlord, who doesn't care that Cindy has no money because her roommate took most of it, and even offers to let her live in her apartment rent-free if she has sex with him.
- Left for Dead: After the guard shoots the detective, he notifies the Watcher, who tells him to leave the body. The guard expresses a wish to make sure he's dead, which the Watcher rejects.
- Lured Into a Trap: It's obvious from the start that Cindy's job offer is to get her to come to a remote place to be killed.
- Malevolent Masked Men: The killer wears some kind of mask that covers his head, and has barbed wire wrapped around it.
- Montage: After settling in, Cindy has a montage of herself trying on various outfits from the closet.
- No Ending: Cindy manages to escape the killer and hitch a ride with someone to get to safety. That's it. Nothing about if the cop managed to escape the guards, or what happened to the Watcher, or of the killer's fate. Just roll credits.
- Offscreen Teleportation: The killer is most definitely capable of this. Near the start of the movie, he appears from behind a tree to get his target.
- One-Word Title: The alternate title, Metalface.
- Overdrawn at the Blood Bank: When the killer makes a cut above his first victim's breast, blood starts practically POURING down from the wound.
- Over-the-Shoulder Carry: The killer is seen doing this with someone in the movie's climax.
- Pipe Pain: The killer stabs his first victim through the torso with a thin pipe.
- Sex for Services: Cindy's landlord offers to let her stay in her apartment rent-free in exchange for having sex with him.
- Sinister Surveillance: Cindy is told that all the security cameras in the house are so the owner can keep an eye on her, and only go on when she's around. They're right, but for much more malevolent reasons.
- Stock Slasher: The killer. He wears a head-covering mask, attacks with a hammer and a knife, and can teleport when the camera isn't on him.
- Watch Out for That Tree!: While being chased, the detective gets one of the guards to clothesline himself on a low tree branch.