"The Phantom of the Megaplex strikes again!"Phantom of the Megaplex
is a 2000 Disney Channel
comedy film. Very loosely based on The Phantom of the Opera
, the story concerns strange happenings at a megaplex on the night of a major movie premiere, Midnight Mayhem. Pete Riley, the seventeen year old assistant manager of the theater has to cope with malfunctioning equipment, disappearing staff, and a broken popcorn machine
! He investigates the troubles to find out if it's all a coincidence or the result of sabotage by a mysterious "phantom". Not to mention the antics of his younger siblings.
The movie provides examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Wolfgang Nedermeyer keeps getting Shawn's last name wrong. After Shawn is revealed to be the Phantom, Wolfgang comes down on him hard and gets his name wrong, again. This drives Shawn to scream and correct him. He tells him he did all this so he can get recognition and so Wolfgang would get his name right. But he's already fed up with his job and quit. A famous director decides to give him a movie deal, Phantom of the Megaplex: The Shawn McGibbon Story.
- Affectionate Parody: Of movies in general.
- Another Story for Another Time: About the Werewolf of the Megaplex...
- Beware the Nice Ones: Hilary may be the Team Mom, but between the stress of preparing the theatre for the premiere and dealing with the Phantom's shenanigans, she does not react well to two of Karen's friends hiding out in the bathroom in an attempt to sneak into the premiere.
- Big Eater: Pete develops a big appetite from working at the megaplex all day, as evidenced by the big bowl of cereal.
- Bizarrchitecture: The Megaplex.
- Blame Game: Karen chews Bryan out for accusing Merle, the projectionist, of being the Phantom.
Bryan: Well, I don't hear you coming up with better ideas!
- After Donnie spills all the gumballs from the gumball dispenser, he quickly pins the blame on Karen and Bryan, to which Bryan blames "The Phantom of the Megaplex."
- BrotherSister Team: Bryan and Karen
- Building of Adventure: Again, the Megaplex.
- By-the-Book Cop: Ricky Leary, a.k.a. "Ricky Rules", is this minus the cop part.
- Cassandra Truth: Nobody will listen to Bryan about the Phantom, at first.
- Catchphrase: "The Phantom of the Megaplex strikes again!"
- Character Development: Pete was too dedicated into his work. By the end of the movie, he decides to mellow out.
- Deadpan Snarker: Pete, Karen and Bryan, must run in the family.
- Description Cut: Pete and his mom are talking about the premiere, while Julie openly worries if he can handle the pressure. Pete assures her that he and the team are professionals who can handle anything. Cut to Shawn:
Pete: Mom, we're professionals, we have everything under control.
Shawn: (hangs up phone) It's a disaster!
- Dramatic Unmask: When Pete unmasks Shawn to be "The Phantom", everyone at the premiere was aghast.
- Evil Laugh: The Phantom indulges in this a lot.
- Elaborate Underground Base: Movie Mason has one dedicated to old movies.
- Finagle's Law: Basically, during the night of the premier, anything that can go wrong, does go wrong. Even Pete's mom and her boyfriend George have a lousy night, and they weren't even at the megaplex for most of the evening.
- Granny Classic: "The Cinema Sitter", an elderly usher that only appears 3 times in the entire film, not including the employee meeting at the beginning. After that she is never seen again.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: The Phantom.
- Jerkass: Shawn MacGibbon, and many of the Hollywood-ites who show up for the premiere as well.
- Jerk Jock: Donny Hollie. A Smug Snake who enjoys giving Pete a hard time at his job.
- Kick the Dog: Everyday Mason would come in to the Megaplex and offer his services, he'd even make a work schedule for himself and hand it over to Shawn for approval. And every single day, Shawn would kindly take the note, tear it up and throw it away... right in front of Mason.
- That and calling him a freakshow during the grand opening, seriously, the man has zero respect for his betters. Considering how his superior Wolfgang keeps getting his name wrong, it's probably understandable.
- Motor Mouth: "Racy" Lacy, the theater worker, known for being super fast in the talking department.
- Mythology Gag: Pete's mother mentions seeing Katy Segal and Levar Burton at the premiere party, both of whom were involved in Smart House a year prior.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Terri, a.k.a. "Scary Terri", who enjoys recapping disturbing urban legends to anyone in earshot. Of course, it turns out that Terry herself is capable of being scared.
- "Scooby-Doo" Hoax: All the shenanigans that Shawn MacGibbon did as "The Phantom of the Megaplex" was to get back at Nedermeyer for not noticing him.
- Show Within a Show: The movies playing at the Megaplex.
- Team Mom: Hillary Horan, a.k.a. Hillary Honey. Pete himself likens her to a sweet old grandmother, in the body of a teenager.
- Title Drop: Happens thanks to Pete's brother Bryan.