Patient Zero is a Horror Movie by Stefan Ruzowitzky.
A strain of rabies that began in dogs has managed to jump species to humans. It spread pretty because it turns its host in 90 seconds and decimated the human population. 7 billion humans are either dead, or infected.
In an underground bunker in an undisclosed location, a few remnants of humanity have taken shelter with the help of what now remains of the military. They've been capturing infected and interrogating them in hopes of finding patient zero, the first person ever to have this new strain, in the hopes of synthesizing a cure from their blood. Now, normally, interrogating an infected isn't doable, since infection seems to have reduced their language to feral growling and shrieking. The trick is that all of the infected are interrogated by Morgan (Matt Smith), a man who was bitten during the initial outbreak, but didn't turn. The bite DID however, allow him the ability to communicate with the infected.
So, with Morgan's help, the military scientist Dr. Gina Rose (Natalie Dormer) is trying to narrow down the location of where patient zero might be. However, things get complicated when an unusually intelligent infected (Stanley Tucci) is found and brought into the bunker.
The movie was released on August 14th, 2018.
Patient Zero contains examples of:
- An Arm and a Leg: After being bitten by "Pete Townshend", Scooter is taken to an infirmary to have the bitten arm amputated. Sadly, they didn't get it off in time.
- Bittersweet Ending: The bunker is overrun by infected who kill most everyone in there, but Morgan and Gina have survived and escaped to continue the hunt for patient zero, as well as care for their unborn child.
- Flashback: A number of these are shown in the movie, relaying Morgan's and the Professor's lives before the outbreak, and the Professor killing his family after he became infected.
- The Immune: Morgan has the virus in his system, but didn't turn into an infected like the others. Having the virus in his system does however let him communicate with the infected.
- Off-into-the-Distance Ending: At the end of the movie, Morgan and Gina ride off into the distance on a motorcycle.
- Playing Possum: When some soldiers are checking dead bodies in the crematorium, one of them is revealed to have been doing this when he jumps up and attacks.
- Shipped in Shackles: Every infected human is brought to the interrogation room with their hands behind their back, a rope around their neck, and a device that holds their mouths open.
- Shrine to the Fallen: One of the hallways in the bunker is lined with names of people who lost their lives.
- Technically Living Zombie: The infected are humans who contracted a mutant strain of rabies. As such, they can run, communicate in their own language, and formulate plans.
- Tracking Device: A tracking device is discovered in "Pete Townshend".